Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I don’t even like to deep fry stuff in my own kitchen. I love deep fried foods, but it’s messy, wasteful in terms of oil usage and proper disposal of said oil, and it stinks up the whole house.

13 Likes

Well seasoned cast iron absolutely will last a lifetime, or 4. It does require a little bit of upkeep, but the avoidance of PFOAs is more than worth it, and temperature wise, they are far more forgiving. Plus, you get to argue about how to clean them!

9 Likes

Shallow frying works as well, though I also concur that frying anything in someone else’s kitchen might not be the best move

7 Likes

Upon reflection, I hope I didn’t inadvertently insult anyone by my somewhat- ambiguous wording. To be clear, I was speaking about myself. I meant:

should have been obvious to me, but wasn’t. It never even occurred to me.

7 Likes

Honestly I don’t do any upkeep beyond what I do with any pan.

I do all my pancakes on a cast iron galette pan and they never stick. I start off with a thick almost US style pancake and gradually thin the batter until the youngest who likes a super thin pancake, cooked only pale. Either spray or wipe oil with a cloth or kitchen tissue on the pan in between them. When the bubbles pop the pancake is perfect for turning for me.

Cast iron is particularly good for pancakes because when it’s up to temperature it doesn’t lose it from a mere pancake so it’s good to go for the whole stack. Wash it, wipe it, dry it (okay I do stick it back on the hob for a minute) and off you go. And as you say, no forever chemicals, and no disposable pan, and honestly it’s easier and better.

Too heavy to flip if you like that though. Or maybe I’m too weak.

9 Likes

I know but cast iron is heavy.

8 Likes

Carbon steel is worth checking out. They offer the benefit of cast iron (seasoned instead of chemical coated) and are quite maneuverable.

I find them a bit finicky to maintain vs. cast iron but appreciate not coming near pfas etc.

7 Likes

My comment doc was replying to is like 40 comments up, so I’m sure you didn’t see it, but in it I said…

9 Likes

Ah jeez, I do remember seeing it now. Yes, right on. I’m into it, but am ok with using a bit of oil all the time.

8 Likes

Went to the fancy grocery this evening. I found these, which I didn’t buy but were interesting. Anyone had these?

I wanted to try the Stonewall IPA but they were out. Got this instead out of curiosity and admiration for the packaging. I like it. Not quite as sour as some sours I’ve had and nice fruity flavor in there.

I’m on my own for food for a week. No chef :cry: on the upside, I really like bread and pesto but rarely have it. So I bought some nice sourdough and the fancy store’s quite yummy pesto.

14 Likes

Not having to cook for everyone else would be such a luxury!

The odd time it happens I usually end up making elaborate vegan meals but honestly nice pesto and bread is unbeatable.

I’d go one simpler and really nice olive oil and fresh bread is the food of the gods.

11 Likes

The galette pan I’m using right now is pretty light, unlike the skillet which cost me £5 when I bought it. And my mate’s grandma’s le Creuset on the left.

12 Likes

I’m a fan of the Bel-Air Sour! I agree with your assessment of it as well. Very nice.

I’ve tried the white strawberries as well. They’re strawberries.

9 Likes

our mango tree has some heavy fruit this year:

in fact, so heavy that some fell off before ripening.
not to worry! i know just the thing for these tangy green mangoes!
Hot Mango Pickles!
this is a Filipino recipe for Burong Mangga
sliced three fallen green mangoes into spears and packed into a sterilized mason jar along with our homegrown Thai chilies. boiled 350ml apple vinegar with 240g sugar and 1tsp salt. poured over the chili-mango and sealed with sterilized lid. these are going to be wildly hot and sour!

14 Likes

Found on the InterWebNet:
Instant Search 2 Million Recipes

6 Likes

Ok, maybe I didn’t make it obvious I was asking for help earlier with my bread making, so I’m going to repeat my request for help. When I try to knead dough in a stand mixer, or by hand, the dough just never comes together. In the mixer, it never reaches that stage of “pulling away from the sides.” Does anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions? Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I’m trying to make this milk bread again, and after a half hour in the stand mixer, I gave up. It’s still a sticky, shaggy mess. I can let it rest and make it work like a no knead bread, and I will, but I don’t understand why I can’t seem to knead bread dough. Help!

9 Likes

I’m not sure what’s going on with yours, but I generally like to knead my bread by hand rather than in a mixer. Anytime I’ve used one, it’s never worked out well. :woman_shrugging: Same thing, it just never gets to the pulling away stage. I throw things into the bowl and mix with a rubber spatula until it gets to shaggy dough stage, grab a step stool and I’m usually able to get it to come together by hand after about 10 or 15 minutes of kneading by hand. You really got to work it over, though.

Have you tried using something to stand on to make you taller? That helps me. I’m short enough that doing it from the floor would not give me the leverage I need to get the dough in shape.

10 Likes

Well my bread making area is what is supposed to be the built in desk in the kitchen, so it’s already lower than the counter tops. I could try that, though. I will try that. Thanks.

7 Likes

May I see your recipe? I am very curious what might be going wrong.

6 Likes

I don’t use the yeast packets, though. I have the jars of yeast, so I measured out 7 grams, which is how much is in a packet. Allegedly.

10 Likes