Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

How do you sharpen them?

12 Likes

Hobbit Standard Process.

9 Likes

15 Likes

Give It To Me Want GIF by CBS

11 Likes

Is that a full tang skillet tho? :thinking: As a seasoned cook i would like my battle cookware to be built for maximum twackage.

6 Likes

Despite being a Yooper, I just found out about U.P. comfort-video streamer Old Time Hawkey this week when I saw an article about his new cookbook (Old Time Hawkey’s Recipes from the Cedar Swamp). I looked to see if he had come up on Boing Boing at all, and of course @LowlyWorm2022 posted about him almost a year ago! Holy wah, how’d I miss that?

If campfire Mexican pizza and Vernors isn’t your thing, this video is still totally worth watching for the music and the doggos.

6 Likes

Aw, I grew up with Vernors! In Western New York—Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. (Still kind of miss it, in my mind, though I really don’t drink pop anymore.)

:thinking: But why do I want to spell it with an apostrophe?? Wikipedia has the answer!

The brand was originally sold as Vernor’s; the apostrophe was dropped in 1959.

(I was born in 1955, and, with two older siblings eager to teach me, was a very early reader.)

6 Likes

I want to spell it with an apostrophe, too, but caught myself this time. I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, but I grew up throwing apostrophe-s onto all kinds of brand names: JCPenney’s, Meijer’s, other local stores that were just a last name followed by what they were selling (pretend example, Hamilton Appliance would just be Hamilton’s).

4 Likes

i want to go there 30 rock GIF

Though I typically reserve Vernor’s for when my stomach is upset. The ginger really helps.

8 Likes

I wanted to make a bread with a softer crust so I tried a milk bread recipe. We’ll see how it tastes in the morning. Visually, it looks great.

14 Likes

The bread is pretty good.

I was trying to make something that was as close as possible to the texture of store bought white bread, and this is pretty damn close. It’s soft, light, and airy. The crust is much softer than a no knead bread baked at a high temperature. I realize that’s probably a negative for some people, but I’ve been having some dental issues and I need soft bread with a soft crust.

ETA: This was the recipe I used. I had trouble getting the dough to develop through kneading using my stand mixer like he does in this video. I always have this problem when trying to make kneaded bread. I don’t know why, but I always have trouble getting the dough to really come together and get the gluten to develop. I ended up giving up on the mixer and tried kneading it by hand, with no better luck. I finally in desperation just collected it into as good a ball shape as I could manage and put it in a bowl and let it sit for like an hour. It had almost doubled in size, so I decided to treat it like a no knead dough and I did some stretch and folds. I let it sit for another hour and did that again. And after sitting another hour, the dough looked pretty good, so I went ahead and degassed it, formed it into a loaf, put it in my loaf pan and let it sit for another hour. Then I baked it and it came out pretty good. So I need to work on the technique or something. If anyone has suggestions for kneading in a stand mixer successfully, I’m all ears. I also want to tweak the recipe a little (maybe sub honey for the sugar?) because there’s not a lot of flavor.

13 Likes

That’s really accurate for a Japanese milk bread. Looks like ideal crumb and soft crust is right on. I just had some this morning with homemade strawberry jam.

The lack of flavor is authentic. Milk bread is meant to carry other flavors, which makes it ideal for things like French toast or spreads like black sesame.

10 Likes

When I try French toast with milk bread the bread always deflates to a paper thinness. What’s your secret?

5 Likes

Don’t add milk - just eggs.

9 Likes

Can you do anything with cheese curds, besides just nibble on them? (The people I’m cat sitting for left some perishables in their fridge, including a sizable bag of cheese curds, and told me to take them.) Why do they have such a weird texture? And why are they so salty? These are from Wisconsin (our neighboring state), where cheese curds are very popular; are they popular all over, or mainly just in dairy-producing areas? So many questions.

I’m guessing the reason they’re so salty is because otherwise there’s very little else in terms of flavor…? Or am I being too critical and not appreciating the nuances of them?

7 Likes

Make something al forno.

7 Likes

Ok, I’ll be the one stating the obvious: poutine?

10 Likes

Yeah that’s the first thing that popped into my head.

9 Likes

Ha! Yes, that should have been obvious! :laughing:

Also, Wikipedia reminds me of deep-fried cheese curds, even distinguishing between Minnesota style and Wisconsin style:

Deep-fried cheese curds are often found at carnivals and fairs, and often local non-chain fast-food restaurants and at regular restaurants and bars, as well as a few chain restaurants of local origin, such as Culver’s.

Minnesota style deep-fried cheese curds are covered with a batter similar to one used for onion rings, and placed in a deep fryer. Wisconsin style deep-fried cheese curds use breading instead of batter. They are sometimes served with a side of ketchup, marinara sauce, or ranch dressing.

In many areas where fried cheese curds are common, the term “cheese curds” refers to the fried variety; non-fried curds are distinguished by calling them “raw” or “plain” cheese curds.

In some areas, deep-fried cheese curds are also known as cheeseballs. Whereas in Wisconsin they are usually referred to as fried curds.

7 Likes

Sounds great, but I probably wouldn’t start deep-frying stuff in somebody else’s kitchen

7 Likes