Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I wonder if anyone has ever tried that with New Jersey pork roll.

ETA: Yep, they have.

9 Likes

Once you get through the can, it gets easier!

Metal Welding GIF by audreyobscura

9 Likes

Cinnamon rolls. Just because. There are 2 more pans in the freezer.

12 Likes

I have an over abundance of mint and oregano. I think this is nature’s way of telling me to make mojo pork…

12 Likes

I had a pretty nice set of Circulon pans i had gotten on clearance ages ago, pretty thick metal but they’ve been scratched up and banged up and for non-stick you’re supposed to stop using them which i haven’t. Just got delivered a new set of stainless steel Tramontina pots and pans. Really looking forward to using them, just handling everything while unboxing got me pretty jazzed up :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Our set of Circulon is very old and scratched up but the brochure said they’ll last a lifetime and I’m holding them to it.

5 Likes

I would like to as well but you know. Teflon ain’t good for you.

8 Likes

It’s Teflon, it slides right on through.

I thought Teflon was non toxic if you ingested a flake or two.

At least that’s what the googles told me.

4 Likes

I think my main objection these days to non-stick cookware is that most of it is essentially disposable. I don’t care what guarantees they give, or what specific nonstick coating they use, eventually, it will have scratches and nicks and then it won’t be nonstick. So then you have to throw it away and replace it. And I just want to try to avoid that. Cookware should last a lifetime.

I have some good stainless cookware, but I honestly don’t like to use it for things likely to stick. I mean, it’s cleanable, but it will take some elbow grease if something gets stuck badly, especially if it’s burnt. I have a carbon steel frying pan, which I’m still trying to decide if I like. It’s well seasoned and well used at this point, but it’s not really no stick. And unlike cast iron, you basically have to reseason it with every use. It’s also almost as heavy as cast iron. I really need a slightly larger frying pan than that one, and I hate it, but I’m actually considering a nonstick pan.

6 Likes

We bought a tabletop induction cooktop for our rv.

We also bought two Gotham Steel nonstick pans, a giant fry pan and a big sauce pan.

Those really live up to the commercials. They have some sort of ceramic coating on a stainless steel body with a thick induction base.

We rarely use any oil or spray, nothing sticks to them and cleanup is a piece of paper towel which is nice when conserving water.

So far not a single scratch.

6 Likes

It’s a PFAS, so don’t trust that.

4 Likes

He lost me at “coat in teriyaki”. If you have to do that, it’s too bland for musabi.

4 Likes

A component of it are classed as forever chemicals so overall it’s just not worth keeping. Yeah it won’t kill you, but it’s also not good for you and everyone else you’re cooking for.

I do love my Circulon pans but i’ve made the hard choice to do away with my non-stick set. I might get a separate ceramic pan for applications where i need some extra insurance on the non-stick needs, from what i’ve read they’re not as great as teflon and similar products but it gets you most of the way there. I dunno :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I’ve switched to using cast iron or stainless pretty much exclusively. The chemistry of food and cookware is complex, but I figure rust and carbonized food remnants is the devil we know. I don’t trust the non stick coatings.

6 Likes

I had a stainless steel set ages ago but it was really cheap, after a single use i just knew i hated it and gave it away. I figured I’d spend some extra and try a nicer set this time

5 Likes

I love my ceramic set for things like omlets. I find it more non-stick than my old teflon pans they replaced.

9 Likes

If you get one good non-stick pan and just use it for eggs and such and store it carefully it will last a long time, if not a lifetime. I have two that I use only to make crepes that are still pristine.

10 Likes

That may be what I need to do. As I have mentioned before, I really like eggs. If I want to fry or scramble one egg, I have a small non-stick pan that’s still unscratched. But it’s too small for two or more eggs. That’s a good idea, I think. Get one non-stick pan that’s the size I need, and then only use it for things that really need a non-stick pan. The bigger problem may be making sure no one else in the house uses it. Because that’s where things always go wrong. As in: I walk into the kitchen and see someone cooking something in the non-stick pan that doesn’t really need a non-stick pan, and they’re stirring it with a metal spoon. I lose about 50 brain cells every time this happens because they just explode from the stress.

11 Likes

What is the particular ceramic pan brand you’re using?

4 Likes

I’m not at home right now to confirm, but I’m pretty sure it is the 3-pan set of Tramontina hard-anodyzed aluminum ceramic pans from Costco.

5 Likes