Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

They made a part 2, I assume for Pride. You’ll see why.

10 Likes

Goumi berries are coming in, and i have picked several pound already without seeming to have made much impact on the total quantity there. Looking for ways to use them other than eating and juicing (and brewing, of course) i came across this idea. My first effort is currently cooling on the counter. Smells lovely. We shall see!

Goumi Berry, Shrubs, & Kitchen Wizardry — Home Orchard Education Center.

13 Likes

We don’t eat it because my gf hates it. I keep telling her, she hasn’t eaten anything I’ve made out of rhubarb yet, and so cannot make an informed choice, but my pleas fall on deaf ears.

8 Likes

My regular winter dessert is rhubarb and apple crumble with fresh ginger grated into the fruit and a small amount of dried into the crumble mix. Sweet, tart and warming.

14 Likes

I would like to buy some glutinous rice. The only package my local store carries is a 5# bag. Any suggestions as to which brands are sold in smaller amounts?

6 Likes

not likely. do you have HM Mart by you? even at Asian grocers, finding a 1 or 2 pound bag is a long shot.
i have found frozen, prepared sticky rice at Publix, but i understand you may not want to go that route.
i have been ordering online from HM and Weee! for Asian grocs i could never get here on the island. (also just ordered ingredients for making sticky rice stuffed with salted egg yolk, lap xuong and shiitake, all wrapped in my banana leaves and steamed :yum: )

9 Likes

Plenty of Asian markets around-the perks of living in Chicago. Guess I’ll get the smallest bag I can and freeze most of it.

6 Likes

Which reminds me that I left my first fresh rhubarb of the year in the fridge of my in-laws where we were kidsitting this weekend, 150 miles away. Ah well.

6 Likes

I’m a big fan of the invasive but tasty cousin of this plant, though I don’t think it ripens until late summer.

6 Likes

Wow, I had no idea that the fruits of that were edible!

What do you do with them, yourself? (if I may ask)

8 Likes

This. If you can find a grocery in a neighborhood with a large Asian population, they might have it in the bulk section. One of our local cheap grocers does.

9 Likes

I eat them fresh. They are tart, but tasty. I have heard they’re better after the first frost, from someone who ate them in Korea, but, in the DC area at least it seems the birds or other critters get to them if I wait that long.

ETA: They kind of remind me of sour gummy candy, with a little less sugar. Not as chewy.

5 Likes

We had a bacon cook off getting ready for our big 4th of July camping trip.

Anyone that joins us gets bacon on everything.

Bacon and eggs, bacon burgers, BLTs, or just bacon.

12 Likes

mmm… bacon!
bacon, bacon, eggs and bacon;
bacon, bacon, beans;
bacon, bacon, beans, eggs and bacon…
:yum:

8 Likes

Spam spam spam spam spam…

Lovely spam, Wonderful spam…

Now I want spam on the campfire.

5 Likes

bacon, spam and egg on a toasted sammich!
campfire grilled spam is a good thing!

6 Likes

What are you, Hawaiian?

*lolz

j/k

7 Likes

:grin:

10 Likes

Oh, I was never quite sure what to do with spam but a campfire makes sense. How easy is it to get it to burn though?

8 Likes

10 Likes