Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

9 Likes

I had no idea the packaged sandwiches were so popular there. You can get them here in the US. Mostly I’ve seen them in convenience stores. They’re not very popular, and they’re not what anyone buys when you want a good sandwich.

8 Likes

The “pret” sandwich is the pinnacle of English cuisine and simply indispensable.
There are those who say that M&S has the best sandwiches, but that’s more something of a religious belief than an objective fact.

10 Likes

This conflict probably needs a spot in the “endless arguments” thread :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Update on my milk bread: man, buttered and toasted, that bread is amazing!

14 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Torpedo onions at the Farmers market!
Quick marinaded.
Vinegar, water, salt, sugar, ground and whole black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil.
IMG_6958|375x500

8 Likes

“torpedo onion”.
how is that different from a banana shallot?
is it how long one looks at it?

9 Likes

I think so. This onion will get fatter and fatter but keep its shape.
These are young ones.

8 Likes

Love your new look!!

kent.user image.Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 7.36.57 PM

10 Likes

Toast is my favorite bread.

9 Likes

The onions turned out great.

10 Likes

In the liner notes to Talking Heads’ “Stop Making Sense”, there’s a statement that “Toast is the national dish of Australia”.

I have never doubted it and I know this to be true.

8 Likes

Ok this time I just said screw it and went with a no knead technique from the start. It looks ok. We’ll see what the inside looks like.

14 Likes

Not bad.

17 Likes

Nice! Now toast it, toast it, toast it!

13 Likes

Pop Tv Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Good work!

9 Likes

Tomorrow. Right now, I’m enjoying a ham sandwich.

ETA: I also let this cold ferment in the fridge overnight. It does have more flavor than my previous loafs. I think this is the way.

ETA2: Also, this bread is super soft and airy. Like Wonder Bread soft. This is what I have been trying to figure out how to make at home for a couple of years now.

16 Likes

Cold ferment is great, I’ve found any method that makes for a slow ferment ends with a better product, at least in dough making. Can’t rush quality, etc.

9 Likes