Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Toast time.

5 Likes

Ketchup or Catsup?

Ketchup and catsup are acceptable spellings and are used interchangeably, but ketchup is used more often.

https://discover.hubpages.com/food/Is-It-Ketchup-or-Catsup

5 Likes

11 Likes

It may have been me, or it might have been the ingredients I used (my local supermarket didn’t have a great selection of things like Hoisin, Chinese 5 spice, etc., and I think some of them might have been old, although they weren’t past the expiration date) but this was not good. I ended up taking one bite and throwing the whole thing out. If it was an ingredient issue, I’m putting the blame on the tahini. It looked and smelled a little off.

8 Likes

If your local options aren’t super fresh i would look into ordering from online places, i’ve used Weee and while paying for shipping isn’t ideal i have been able to get things that i had a hard time procuring elsewhere. That said there are other choices for online shopping you could check out :slight_smile:

For the specific recipe i haven’t made dan dan noodles but i have made sesame noodles and i can swap out the Asian brand sesame paste for tahini, or if i don’t have either i have used peanut butter and the taste is pretty close. That’s a bummer that your attempt at it didn’t go well, i hate to waste food and having to bin something because something wasn’t fresh would’ve really irritated me.

9 Likes

ef9c1902a173d2e910886ce2c0132d3c

9 Likes

What’s up? Catsup. (Usually high up on a ledge or railing somewhere.)

6 Likes

Well, if “catsup” is anything like “the dog’s dinner”, then it’s a fine mess we’re in…

3 Likes

How does it taste?

5 Likes

Probably not very good. I know they said that Speyer bottle, while still containing liquid wine, had lost all its ethanol content. Which leaves me to ask what makes it wine now and not grape juice?

8 Likes

The sugar that was converted into alcohol is still gone, so maybe desugared grape juice? :thinking:

8 Likes

I’ve heard of the angel’s share, but that’s like teenaged me taking the rarely used vodka in my parent’s liquor cabinet and replacing it with water. Greedy-ass angels. :laughing:

7 Likes

I guess it could be considered fermented grape juice, and alcohol free wine is still called wine.

6 Likes

Bacon 3

Bacon 2

Bonus bacon flash drive
Bacon 4

8 Likes

His food channel is as great as his orig travel channel

5 Likes

Good one!

5 Likes

Yes, please! :fire::bacon:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Boingboing gets a shoutout of sorts on the most recent Tasting History video about the Cerro Gordo Ghost Town. I have it queued up around the relevant time but the discussion does start a few minutes earlier. And he did get a shoutout from BB after he had bought the Cerro Gordo ghost town in relation to a Reddit AMA he did. Figured some people might be interested :slight_smile:

9 Likes

From a relative-in-law moving to assisted living: very vintage Presto electric fry pan with “easy clean” cooking surface.

It still heats right up, but the “easy clean” surface has to be Teflon, and, yikes, that ungrounded plug!

13 Likes