Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I hate shrinkflation. There should be a law.

11 Likes

We get home very tired lately so dinner is always something simple.

Today we were going to have chicken, too much work, then pancakes, too much work, grilled cheese, nope.

How about peanut butter and jelly? That’s the one.

No recipe but I need grape jam, not jelly. It spreads easier.

My wife added potato chips I went with a tall glass of milk.

10 Likes

Jinx!
I just told my wife about my childhood love of PB&J+Potato chips!
She thinks its weird.

8 Likes

Butt load anyone?

13 Likes

thelovecraftsman-blog

thelovecraftsman: “ New foot-long Cthulhu Chocolate Bars!!! Here’s where to get them. ” The
the Evil! It’s so
TASTY! om nom nom nom I eat the chocolate; it eats my SOUL.

thelovecraftsman
New foot-long Cthulhu Chocolate Bars!!!

merelygifted
The
the Evil! It’s so
TASTY! om nom nom nom I eat the chocolate; it eats my SOUL.

13 Likes

There’ll be days like this

5 Likes

Anyone have any tips for checking when a very non-stick (ceramic!) pan is at temperature? The usual “does water skitter” isn’t really effective when it skitters on the cold pan.

5 Likes

I have a 
 infrared? I think it’s infrared. Thermometer. I can point it at the pan and it will tell me the temp. It wasn’t terribly expensive, either. I don’t use it a lot, but it comes in handy for things like that.

ETA: This is the one I got.

10 Likes

Yeah, I think we have one too. What’s the usual temp range for a pan?

6 Likes

I think it depends what you’re doing. If you’re searing a steak, 350-400? If you’re scrambling an egg, probably a lot less than that.

ETA: I don’t usually try to go by an exact temperature. I just learn with my stovetop where to set the knob to get the best results, lol. Just shy of medium for scrambled eggs. Almost all the way to high for searing a steak. I got that thermometer because when I started messing around with different ways to cook steak, I was checking the pan temperature a lot. Now that I’ve settled on my favorite method, I don’t need to do that anymore.

9 Likes

You might try what i do with regular pans, i just hover my hand over the pan at a safe distance. The moment i start to feel heat is generally when its close to getting to a medium temp. I don’t own a ceramic pan but i would guess its heat conducting must be similar so the method should work, just gotta get a feel for when you feel a certain level of heat is when you want to drop your food stuffs into it.

9 Likes

The temperature for the Leidenfrost effect (the skittering droplet) is around 495F for water, so that’s probably a good starting point.

Also be aware that the emissivity of the surface matters. The readings on my carbon steel pans are wildly inaccurate at the default setting on my IR thermometer.
https://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity-table/

10 Likes

Pizza!:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:
Yes, I love pizza. It’s my death row last meal choice.
Is any topping taboo? Or crust composition?

10 Likes

Something that doesn’t mention is that pineapple has enzymes that break down proteins – which is to say, one reason it’s so often paired with meat is that it acts as a meat tenderizer.

12 Likes

Good point! :pineapple::pizza:
Thx.

8 Likes

For what it’s worth, my “signature pizza” is jalapeno, pineapple, and onion. I call it The Neckbeard.

7 Likes

Mine used to be jalapeño, mushrooms, and pepperoni, but my stomach is having trouble handling spicy lately.

11 Likes

Mine, too. I sympathize.

@kentkb

The issue I have with pineapple on pizza is that it clashes (for me) with the tomato sauce. There is already a sweet-tart fruit on pizza - why add another?

9 Likes

I like Napoli style, my current fave is a margherita with teaspoons of n’djua and ricotta dotted over it.

9 Likes

Math and cooking! Two of my favorite thing. I learned this method of chopping an onion a few years ago. I think it’s actually pretty obvious when you think about it, but it’s still nice to know the math confirms it.

11 Likes