Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I miss PB&J, but these days it would kill me. Almond butter is a decent sub, but just isn’t the same… :cry:

12 Likes

Peanut allergy? Nut allergies are weird. I discovered I was allergic to pistachios a few years ago when I had some spumoni at an Italian restaurant. I’m not allergic to any other nuts. I’m not deathly allergic, though. Pistachios just make me want to find a human sized cheese grater and scrape all my skin off.

13 Likes

It’s not even a nut allergy when it’s peanuts, it’s a legume.

My former boss used to have to carry an epi-pen as he was allergic to sesame, which made huge swathes of middle eastern and asian food very dangerous.

12 Likes

Yes, but people allergic to peanuts also often are sensitive or allergic to sesame, almonds, and hazelnuts, and none of those are legumes. Thus…nut allergies are weird, in that the same allergy seems to exist for things that aren’t technically nuts but that we either call nuts or treat them culinarily like they’re nuts.

13 Likes

I agree, I probably should have just agreed that allergies are weird (since sesame is considered a seed), there’s definitely very little rhyme or reason for who, what and why we get them.

10 Likes

Yeah, developed a pretty nasty peanut allergy at 50ish. Was making peanut butter icing for my wife’s bakeshop and as the beater aerosolized the peanuts, I started having an itchy tongue and trouble breathing. When this happened again after eating some peanut butter munchies, I decided it was time to get it checked out. Sucks, man. But you are correct, allergies in general are weird. I have eaten peanuts in mass quantities my whole life, and suddenly “nope.” Other nuts, other legumes, no probs. This? Yeah, breathing is good.

16 Likes

I’m kind of the reverse. When I was very young, I was allergic to seemingly everything. Milk, Christmas trees, every pollen and mold known to man. I had to get allergy shots and everything. And then…I just gradually grew out of all of them. And then somehow managed to never even try a pistachio until my late 40s, and the first time I have spumoni, my back breaks out in the worst case of hives I’ve ever had.

12 Likes

Kenji rules!

8 Likes
7 Likes

I will continue to advocate for cast iron. Well seasoned and cared for, it can be pretty slick, although not as much as teflon. But no durability or safety issues to worry about. The one serious drawback, especially in larger sizes, is weight. These things get seriously heavy pretty quickly. The density is part of how they work, stabilizing and holding temp really well. But yeah, heavy.

16 Likes

I got a ceramic nonstick pan about 10 year ago, and food started sticking to it after just a couple of weeks. I was not impressed. Hopefully they’ve gotten better since then. But that video makes it clear that most of them still aren’t very good.

9 Likes

I love my cast iron Griswold. I call these my bachelor breakfast pans.

15 Likes

Or, you can say another feature of cast iron is how they incorporate a strength training regime into your cooking.

8 Likes

Carpal tunnel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Black and red raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. Blueberries from farmer’s market, the rest picked on the same day at the u-pick place.

Berry crisp

15 Likes

I’m in the middle of raspberry overload here. I still have berries in the freezer since last year.

13 Likes

iirc, you are a brewer.
raspberry göse
raspberry sour
raspberry stout (my favorite!)
btw, how are your hopvines this year?

10 Likes

Unfortunately my hopvines rotted away over the winter so no hops this year. I still have some of last year’s hops in the feeezer though. Next year I hope to have a decent trellis setup for the vines.

9 Likes

I’d bet raspberry coulis is more compact and immediately useful to pull out of the freezer, I’m also of the opinion that a raspberry limoncello would go down a treat (a lamponcello if you will).

13 Likes

Oooh, and a coulis could be frozen in ice cube trays for individual servings!

13 Likes