Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

I soak the unshucked corn in water a grill it. They steam in the husk yet can get a smokey flavor.
But cook it on the grill without the husk and get the grill marks on them is hard to beat.

6 Likes

Ah gee thanks. It wasn’t really planned out. But after I had taken a bite out of one slice, it almost made itself.:skull:

5 Likes

This is the way

7 Likes

Hungry Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

We’re in mid-winter here, but now I’m craving Niçoise salad (and good, in-season tomatoes). Tuna confit with garlic sounds amazing.

7 Likes

Steak & onion with chips.

11 Likes

air fryer chips?
they’re the best!

9 Likes

I think I just convinced the cook we should get an air fryer…

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

11 Likes

I’m still working on my SO to get one. I do the cooking usually, but the counter/kitchen is a bit crowded. I did buy a shelf that i need to build to put some kitchen stuff in the garage that we don’t use regularly and i feel like i could get away with buying an air fryer. I just gotta build that shelf :stuck_out_tongue: it’s been like a month since i’ve been saying i would do so…

7 Likes

I’m doing the air fryer black cod karaage again tonight. The first time, it was excellent. Last time was disappointing, but I think the quality of the fish was not great (tasted too fishy) and I marinated it too long.

Since there’s always excess marinade and “breading”, I’m also making air fried sweet peppers and sweet onions as well.

I will report back with results!

9 Likes

Room is a definite issue for us too but I recently did a lot of pantry organizing using baskets and cleared a small counter near the fridge by getting a slim rolling shelf for between that counter and the new fridge.
I think it was the idea of being able to bake things in summer that has clinched it. An air fryer of the appropriate size could be taken outside for cooking. Our oven, which we intend to replace eventually, puts off so. much. excess. heat. We discovered we could take the induction plate we bought outside with the wok for frying and not stink up the house. Could work the same for an air fryer

8 Likes

It turned out well. Not as crispy as oil-fried karaage, but crispy enough and the black cod just melted in the mouth. Onion wedges came out crispy and sweet and the peppers were tasty.

Nice with a dipping sauce of kewpie mayo flavored with sesame oil, sesame seeds and black pepper.

14 Likes

Here’s what I use for BBQ tasks: Diana Original Gourmet BBQ Sauce.

Sells for CDN$3. Plastic squeeze bottle. Simple.
Delicious.

3 Likes

That reminds me of attending a “corn festival” in St. Thomas, Ont. some 50 years ago. All the corn you could eat, free. 5-gallon pots of butter. ALL butter, not just a surface. Out of the water, stick inserted, then dunked the whole cob in, let it drip for a few seconds (don’t want have too much butter, eh?), and handed it over.

Messy af, but so damn good. Moreso that this was that deep yellow, tastes-like-corn corn. Hard to find nowadays here; everyone likes the “Peaches & Cream” or “Pale White Sweet” types. Which I enjoy, since any cob-on-the-corn is better than no cob-on-the-corn. But gimme that old-timey yellow stuff.

I ate way more than I should have.

Laws probably exist now to prevent such a festival, or at least the food handling. Or the price.

11 Likes

Had made some blackberry jam and coulis earlier, had a selection of two kinds of blackberries and some blueberries, all from the garden, I added some lime juice and 5 spoonfuls of brown sugar, cooked it down and pressed it through a sieve. The smooth stuff we made a crostata, the left overs I mix into my oatmeal.

18 Likes

That pie looks amazing!

I just picked some blackberries from the neighborhood vines a few minutes ago!

Combined with two earlier harvests over the last week or so, I have a solid gallon of berries. With a few more harvests, I won’t need to decide between blackberry mead or blackberry pie!

15 Likes

I think I do need to change my avatar more often.

13 Likes

Well, bring back the last one every so often, won’t you? It’s a classic!

6 Likes

esgaril

#chocolate guy is at it again #madman

11 Likes

I must confess that my beloved and I used to bring some fresh chillies in a bag when we went to the Hare Krishna restaurant. Loved their food with its subtle fragrant spices and use of hing rather than the lust inflaming garlic but we wanted some chilli too! Ayurvedically cool chili usually if that helps.

We always did it surreptitiously though, not that we would be thrown out, but just I imagined they’d be disappointed!

8 Likes

When I was in Mexico I could rarely pass a barrio elote stand. The cobs in a pan of hot water, they take it out and slater it with butter with a big long flat knife, shake chilli powder on to taste and some lime if wanted.

Hard to improve on.

8 Likes