Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Ketchup or catsup.
Have any of you ever tried Banana ketchup?
I haven’t. Our local ( walkable distance from our cottage ) Manila Oriental Market, we call ‘Mom’s’ carries a few.

8 Likes
9 Likes

I do but add an additional step of roasting it on a metal grill over the stove to get a slight burn.

6 Likes

Trying Banana Ketchup tonight,
Pork belly, cabbage, onion on corn, and wheat tortillas.

10 Likes

You can ifnd it on the shelves of supermarkets here, I’ve got a bottle in my fridge now.

6 Likes

do let us know your thoughts on this condiment.
next fall, when i am inundated with bananas and the neighbors won’t take any more, i may have to resort to making banana ketchup.
eagerly await your review.

10 Likes

It’s July so time to cook that extra turkey we got last Thanksgiving.

I’ve gotten pretty good at deboning but the legs are too much trouble so I grilled them outside while the rest of it cooked in the oven.

10 Likes

Not a fun post, but just in case anyone hasn’t seen this, Boar’s Head has recalled a bunch of deli meats over a listeria contamination. The main culprit is Liverwurst. Which I bought recently. And fed to my dogs. And they got sick. And now I’m pretty sure this is why. They’re fine, by the way, but they threw up a couple of times over a couple of days.

13 Likes

Thanks! We also have a recall thread, if you’d like to repost that there…

9 Likes

Sorry about the dogs, but they are able to vomit much more easily than humans and have a gut biome that’s much better at digesting carrion too.

8 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t know that existed.

9 Likes

Glad your pups are ok!
Removed the next part because this is a food thread! If you are curious, I made a comment in the recall thread

5 Likes

Banana Ketchup update.
Happy to report that I like it!
Savory sweet. Very thick ( hard to get to of the bottle )
The spicy one is spicy, but no too much to my palette. Artificial banana flavor?
And I worry is that it has food coloring.
I would rather have it ‘banana’ colored.

12 Likes

now you’ve gone and piqued my interest.
will attemp a version of this when the nanners come in this fall.
i’m wondering what type of chili pepper to incorporate, habanero, red finger chili, or serrano? 'cos you know i’ll make it spicy!

11 Likes

Artificial banana flavor?

Often this molecule:

Look at this molecule. Just look at it.

17 Likes

isn’t that amyl a byproduct of beer brewing, sometimes? iirc, it has something to do with the yeast being too warm during fermentation? can also give off the plastic-y “bandaid” flavor.
i remember certain batches of Red Hook ESB, when it was still brewed solely in Fremont, the 21oz bottles were sometimes referred to as “banana beer” for that peculiar flavor.
that was a long time ago.

9 Likes

That molecule is pentyl acetate or amyl acetate. Isoamyl acetate has a branch, as seen on the wikipedia page. Apparently the branch there is what make it a banana thing versus other fruit flavors.

11 Likes

Good catch! Fixed. I must have fracked it/cracked it in previous cut and paste.

7 Likes

I don’t know the flavour of red finger or serrano to make a call, but I think habnero fruitiness would go well with bannana, sugar and vinegar…

11 Likes

Stop it! Don’t encourage him! He needs no pushing towards the hottest pepper.

12 Likes