Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Redbud: I grab buds and graze while hiking, I’ve also collected them to add to salads. I’ve pickled them, and they keep their color, so I’ve used those as capers in pasta and pizza.
Autumn olive, I’ve always eaten fresh, and find them pretty tasty, though a lot of recipes exist. The seeds are edible, their size didn’t seem an issue to me, but maybe there’s less palatable varieties? A Korean friend says the berries are better after the first frost, but I’ve never waited. The plant is considered invasive in a lot of areas, including mine ( DC region).

8 Likes

When foraging in urban areas, are you concerned with the deposits of crap from car exhausts and other pollution?

5 Likes

I definitely am, but the level of pollution decreases exponentially as you get away from roads. Where I forage, my bigger concern is whether what I’m foraging has been sprayed. I avoid well-manicured areas for that reason. I only pick berries in wild areas or my own neighborhood where I know they don’t spray.

8 Likes

I’m gonna give this recipe a try tonight (though I’ll slightly modify it)…

14 Likes

oh, wow! that does sound delightful!
i wonder, what would you modify, and is that due to limited access to some of the ingredients, or something else?
me? i would add sweet shrimp to it. some key west pinks would - i think - be a wonderful addition.
i, too, will try this recipe!

9 Likes

That looks awesome, and I like how he presents the entire process.

9 Likes

Can you share the pickling recipe? I’ve only ever had redbud buds and flowers fresh. Mostly on salads or direct snacks. The time we sauteed some pods was good too.

@cleveremi Redbuds are early spring forage. You want the buds, flowers, and pods under an inch. Half-inch is even better. The bigger they get, the more tough and bitter. The wilder the trees, the better. No roadside. We eat from our tree because we know it hasn’t been sprayed with anything.

7 Likes

I’m not a mushroom fan, so none of them… I added garlic and onions to the veg and used extra firm tofu. I also didn’t have any oyster sauce. I used rice wine instead of black vinegar, and I also added some honey to sweeten it up a little. It turned out really well, overall. The family enjoyed it.

9 Likes

It was a couple years ago (covid time?), and I’m not certain which recipe I used, but this sounds familiar:

I assume it’s in the quick pickled category, use them up in a couple weeks, don’t expect them to keep for months, though I don’t really know.

7 Likes

I’m often hiking places where gnats are present and mosquitoes will feast if I’m not either moving fast or wearing bug spray, so that’s some reassurance.

ETA: it also occurs to me that I see plenty of farmland from major roads, which is not great, but it does suggest foraging may not be the only source of car crud :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yeah, but it is the part you can control a bit.

Thanks for the recipe, it’s dead simple and I can’t wait to try it!

6 Likes

These golden raspberries have been such a joy!
The taste is unique.

13 Likes

Here it’s spray on vegetation to kill it back. First, there’s a lot of invasive Himalayan blackberry (mmmmm, invasive!). Second, things just grow like mad here. Something about all of Eastern Washington’s topsoil deposited here a few thousand years ago in the Missoula Floods…

11 Likes

There are noms from 11:56 thru 17:20; 25:24 thru 28:13; 32:32 thru 34:22. I skipped a couple w/food that’s boring, disappointing/-looking, only V briefly shown.

ETA:
Pfui! Forgot to add these images -

His ferry buffets aren’t usually this expensive. They did obviously offer a vastier selection than our brief glimpse obtained, though.

He’s a scream.

Oolong is delicious and has lower caffeine than most tea varieties. That big ol’ glassa tea he’s got would still keep me awake for three days. {I can’t even finish a cuppa white tea w/o getting wired.}

OMG I soooo very much WANT! those dragon bowls, and dishes/serving pieces to match! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes_cat:

14 Likes

Not covered. Fried egg on reheated breakfast pizza.
Not seen, a squirt of Sriracha on egg.

16 Likes

a premium breakfast, to be sure! Italian cheese toast and egg.
i am lazy. leftover pizza for breakfast is “Italian cheese toast, bachelor style” (read: cold out of the fridge).
otherwise, pop a slice in the air fryer set on “reheat” 3 minutes at 360F.

i will try the method you illustrate. to compare. for culinary science.

11 Likes

My reheating pizza method is to spritz some water on top of the pizza and chuck it in the toaster oven. It’s somewhat similar with the end result, and yeah it’d be nice to get a crispier bottom from reheating in a pan but then i’d have to clean the pan, and let me be honest… i’m too lazy for that.

10 Likes

Air fryers are amazing pizza reheaters. You can often get a crispier crust that the pizza had to begin with.

11 Likes

Just did that with some Detroit-style pizza tonight, and sure enough, the crust was crispier!

9 Likes

I also had leftover pizza tonight. Not Detroit style, though. I live in New Jersey, after all.

7 Likes