Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Me too… sweeten and lighten that coffee for me, please!

7 Likes

Huh. A lot of restaurants in central Texas have sweet tea. I’m used to always ordering unsweet tea. Same with north of Houston, though I dunno about the city itself. I only spent time in Spring and Conroe because I had to. It is a little less common in the Dallas metroplex

The only sweet tea I will drink is this stuff, which hardly counts as it’s green.

6 Likes

I’m in Central TX (aka Austin) and sweet tea is common, not my jam but i’ll often ask mine mostly with unsweetened with a little bit of regular sweet tea. Or preferably with lemonade.

6 Likes

Yes! At least the Eastern and Mexican varieties. The young pods, under an inch, are yummy. Great in salads. We eat the ones from our Mexican Redbud.

Eastern Red Bud: Pea Pods Tree - Eat The Weeds and other things, too.

12 Likes

Til GIF by Reddit

12 Likes

Lemonade tea, I see it called an Arnold Palmer, is delicious. P. Terry’s version is pretty good. But it ain’t sweet tea.
I don’t like traditional sweet tea. Honey is ok, but if my tea is iced I prefer it unsweetened.

Edit to add: sweetenlow tea is pure evil.

8 Likes

This tree, the Eastern redbud,
The flowers are edible, nicer when buds vs. blooms. Not very flavorful, but lightly floral and mildly sweet. Pickled, they’re like pink capers. Made jam from them one year.

Internet says young leaves are edible when cooked, I have never tried them.

10 Likes

I had forgotten about the flowers. The ones from our tree had a light flavor with a bit of citrus bite. They were also good on salad and looked really nice

8 Likes

Redbud is all over around here. Had no idea. Thanks to you and @Kii!

7 Likes

I lived in Oklahoma for 11 years, where the Eastern Red Bud is the official state tree, and I had no idea the flowers were edible. They’re beautiful trees, though, in the spring.

8 Likes

More pointy tomatoes and fresh berries today. Farmers market.

12 Likes

OitHZ3V

17 Likes

I think pop is a really really old fashioned word that was used in Ireland in the middle of last century, I think “mineral” supplanted it after that. Nowadays only old people say mineral and the general usage is what we you are actually offering. Lemonade was briefly used as a generic term too, but I don’t think any more.

Tea. Earl Gray. Hot. All the way. Or assam same. Oh and redbush/rooibos. I used to muddle lemon balm in hot water, sometimes with ginger and maybe lemon zest if I was feeling spicy, as a relaxing evening tipple and I do recommend it for feeling chill.

Milk in tea is an abomination of the vilest kind. I don’t take it in coffee but heated milk makes sense in the complementary taste profile (caramelised sugars) in a way it really does not with tea. I feel like getting sick just thinking of it.

7 Likes

I think it depends in the way it is prepared. Masala chai (hot and cold) and iced milk teas are pretty great, and there’s a black Indian tea that is incredibly strong that pretty much requires it to be served with milk and sugar but the taste is real good. To your point though a regular tea served with milk tastes awful to me.

6 Likes

I made a great discovery this summer. I tossed a couple chunks of Chaga in a pot of water and simmered for a while. It ended up being dark like ink. I added some honey and stuck it in a jar in the fridge.
For iced tea I poured some over ice then filled with milk (soy milk, in this case), about 1 to 1 tea to milk ratio, and it is yummy. It tastes similar to Thai iced tea, the orange stuff with sweetened condensed milk. But not as sweet.

@kentkb - something must’ve scared your raspberries, they’re white as a ghost!

9 Likes

Sounds interesting :slight_smile: i’m quite fond of Thai iced tea.

7 Likes

Can you say a little more about how you use them, specifically autumn olive and redbud? I have those here but didn’t really know how to use them. Is the autumn olive is some kind of jam or jelly? because the fruit to seed ratio is intense.

I make jam out of the mulberries, and a lot of mint tea.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Blackberries from the neighborhood:

14 Likes

That looks so good :slight_smile:

7 Likes