Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

This is what I usually make. A container of buttermilk powder on hand makes it easy to do on the spur of the moment without having to run for groceries.

( don’t forget to use your PIN number in the ATM machine to get money for the ingredients to Naan bread)

What’s the recipe for yours?

11 Likes

Just flour, salt, baking powder, and water. Next time I’d probably add grated fresh garlic.

9 Likes

Buttermilk powder is a thing? Dammit. Why am I just now learning about this?

11 Likes

This is what I use.

Saco Buttermilk Blend

Shelf stable when unopened, keep in fridge after opened. I recommend keeping the can in a bag, the lid ain’t great.

12 Likes

That’s what I use too. Definitely keep in the fridge after opening! Didn’t think to change the packaging, but you’re right about the lid (and the cardboard canister ain’t no great shakes either).

7 Likes

Ok, it looks like my local ShopRite has that.

6 Likes

Ot’s great stuff-use it anywhere you want a bit of that tang without needing more liquid.

7 Likes

I did something similar recently when I had kebab meat but no bread. The beauty of flatbread is that it is so easy and quick to make. Mine is literally just flour, salt and water.

14 Likes

Anyone have a decent gluten free one that doesn’t involve lots of smoke from flour stopping the wet dough sticking to the hot skillet or lots of oil doing the same?

I avoid making flatbread because I find it not worth the effort.

If I ate gluten I would of course eat it and homemade pizza weekly!

7 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve used these recipes to make a simple one from oats:

And a more involved one.

They seemed fairly bread-like, tasty, but less elastic from the lack of gluten. My partner was avoiding wheat, for a brief time, so it’s not something I’ve made a lot of. I do not recall a lot of smoke, but it’s not unusual for me to set the smoke alarm off when I’m working on the stove top, so it’s entirely possible it was smokey. I remember it being about as easy as pancakes.

6 Likes

Ty! Just last week my girlfriend had started a recipe, and then noticed it called for buttermilk, which we don’t normally keep on hand. I’ve done that a bunch of times too. I hate buying a quart when I’m going to use about a cup, and then it’ll go bad before I remember to use the rest. I’ll do the lemon juice in milk trick, as a substitute, but I don’t know that it’s always as good as if you had the real thing.

4 Likes

You can freeze the leftover if you’ve got room in your freezer (if you’ve got a freezer). Portion it into smaller containers first, say a cup each, or whatever amount your go-to recipe calls for.

10 Likes

My friend thinks I need to cut back on my espressos?
Sent me this:

9 Likes

I don’t like brown gravy. But I learned how to make it because the other human in the house likes it with certain things. So tonight I made gravy. I tasted it when I thought it was done…and I’ll be damned if it wasn’t freakin awesome. I ended up pouring the gravy on my pot roast, which I don’t normally do, that’s how good it was.

19 Likes

giphy (2)

11 Likes

Drag Race Please GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

8 Likes

Ok. What first? Buttermilk biscuits? Buttermilk pancakes?

11 Likes

Pancakes!

10 Likes

Fruit scones!
Drop scones!

10 Likes