Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Both

12 Likes
9 Likes

Pancakes!

9 Likes

Soda or Pop?
This company supports both.

10 Likes

Maybe you’re a better cook than the people who served you brown gravy before.

8 Likes

Now all they’re missing is coke on the label :thinking:

8 Likes

Well that would be my mother. I love my mother, and she’s really good with baked goods. With everything else, she’s very much from the “cook it until it’s good and dead, and then cook it some more to be sure” school of cooking. The first time I had pork chops cooked properly when I was in college was a revelation.

16 Likes

My late mom’s kitchen motto was “It’s OK - it’s just scorched a little on the bottom.” green-rolleyes-08

The first time I made gravy, it was after my mom had died. It also turned out to be incredible, and I’d never been nuts about it, either. Mom loved gravy and made it w/just about every beefly dish.

I read a book of insults at the bookstore where I worked, and gleefully whipped out one for her: “Yo momma’s so fat, she thinks gravy is a beverage!” Mom immediately replied, “GRAVY?! Gimme a straw!” tophat-biggrin

She once demanded I make fried eggs for her, and instead of butter, I used a little Italian dressing. She was furious and refused to even try them. My BF and I love 'em that way. tophat-angry

She wanted everything made the way she did it, and hated every innovation of mine. I loathed it whenever she made me cook: in the kitchen I was forbidden to think for myself. I was screamed at for adding a tiny pinch of cumin to mac & cheese, which I felt made it even more delicious. tophat-shrug

The first time I made pork chops for my BF and myself, they were the best I’d ever had. I’d marinated 'em in Italian dressing, added tons of garlic and onions, generous am’ts of black pepper and basil, and they were wonderful. The first time I marinated 'em in pineapple juice, garlic powder, ginger, and basil, my BF’s first bite blew his mind so hard he almost fell out of his chair. tophat-biggrin A delightful sauce also resulted, which went V nicely with the rice, pineapple chunks and bell pepper strips.

Mom usually bought crummy and tough pieces of beef, never did any tenderizing, and her V rare marinades lasted maybe an hour or two. I marinate stuff for a day or two, even turn 'em over a coupla times, and usually remember to stab pork chops a few times w/a fork before marinating.

My BF agrees that despite my mother’s most earnest efforts, I have become an excellent cook beer

15 Likes

12 Likes

I was at my folks, helping my mom cook. I don’t usually make gravy. She had made it, asked me to whisk it for a bit.
Me: I’ve been whisking this steadily for five minutes, but these lumps aren’t going away.
Mom: (takes a peek) Those are the chopped onions.

11 Likes

Feel this is obligatory at the moment-Paul Kelly, How to Make Gravy https://youtu.be/iISWrBk8KZc?si=dGbcLFm2FGJdIScS

6 Likes

I sometimes put chopped onions into a roasting bag (and diced carrots, whatever alliums are around) with the meat and the liquid goes into the gravy. I might not be too aggressive with the straining so they may end up in the gravy. Not everything needs to be smooth puréed mush.I mean I appreciate the effort in proper French mash potatoes but the reality is they are much, much tastier with skin in them and some texture. Not even close.

My mam thought I needed to be able to cook for myself, particularly when I was 15 and went vegetarian. She bought veggie recipe books and helped me learn. I took over my cooking then because why should someone cook just for me? She was pretty happy to let me take over as much of the cooking as I was willing. She didn’t love it, she was just stay at home. When my father retired he took over the cooking entirely. He was also good to work with in the kitchen. Sure he wanted meat done more than I’d consider but your house, done your way. My family are all philistines anyway!

Only my brother can tolerate decent spice and rare meat like grown ups.

10 Likes

I had chopped onions in mine, but I sauteed them first until just starting to brown, and I had chopped them pretty small. So by the time the gravy was done, the onions had mostly just melted and dissolved into the gravy.

I feel like, at least in my mom’s case, it’s a result of her learning to cook from her mother, who lived through the Great Depression. My mom was born in 1941. During the Depression, and during parts of WWII, fresh meat wasn’t always available, and grocers and butchers kept it on the shelf longer than they would today. So people compensated by cooking the shit out of everything to make sure it wouldn’t kill you, and then just blasting it with a shit ton of salt and pepper to hide the funkiness. And this is how my mom cooks most meats to this day. I also discovered the pleasure of a medium-rare steak when I was in college, and when I would go home for the summer, I tried to get her to cook mine that way, and she could not being herself to do it. She was convinced it wasn’t safe to eat that way. She finally compromised and let me pull my steak off the grill when I wanted to. She still gags at the idea of eating anything raw, like sushi or sashimi.

10 Likes

My mom is a very good cook and baker. She had a large cookbook library, which I read through (Joy of Cooking, Betty Crocker from 1956, Diet for a Small Planet). At 80, she will still try making new recipes, usually from the Times. I was her helper in the kitchen, still am when I can. Both my parents worked when I was growing up, we were latchkey kids, and my mom would often leave messages or call and ask me to do some prep, either make a salad, making rice, cutting up veggies for stir fry, or marinate something. My dad is a good guy and generally a bad cook. One of our Thanksgiving traditions is for him to come in the kitchen and “help”, which involves putting cooking implements/ingredients somewhere “safe” where we can’t find them, until Mom gets annoyed and kicks him out of the kitchen, and we can then get stuff done more easily.

9 Likes

I opted for pancakes. Super yummy, but I couldn’t eat them all.

11 Likes

The recipe I used, if anyone is interested, although I cut it in half. It makes a lot of pancakes. Even cut in half, it was way too many pancakes for two people.

12 Likes

Either cooked pancakes or the batter freeze really well. Just put a cooked pancake in the toaster for a quick treat.

13 Likes

Ginger molasses cookies

12 Likes

Are we still playing “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours”? :wink:

Looks like there’s been some shrinking of the packaging
current size is 12 oz., mine is 16 oz.

Seems like that must be a fairly recent change—mine has been open in the fridge for a while but says “Best if used by Nov 23 2026” so it’s not that old.

12 oz. would be better for me, actually—it’s an “on hand in case I need it” thing, and I rarely use it up before I feel that what remains in the opened package should be tossed.

12 Likes

Trying this out tonight, with some home made bread

13 Likes