Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Good point.

3 Likes

Yep. I like sharpening too.
I always feel like I could do a better job.

3 Likes

One half of a 10# pork loin, “unrolled”:

Stuffed with pesto from the herb garden:

Rolled and smoked like a doobie:

Also, later:

13 Likes

From what I recall it’s not so much “naturally antibiotic” as it is self healing.

The grain on the wood swells, closing most cuts. Cross grain cuts tend to be and remain quite shallow. Leaving a more solid, sanitizeable surface. Where as other materials, like plastic, cuts remain open and bacteria can hide from cleaning and grow in there. So they need to be sanded down to remove damage from time to time.

I’m pretty sure bamboo falls into the latter category rather than hanging out with wood on this. Since bamboo boards are made with a lot of glue/resin, and as a grass the grain structure doesn’t function the way wood does. Cutting on bamboo is a lot like cutting on abrasive plastic.

4 Likes

A few years ago I picked up a copy of this book at the Flea Market. I cannot find it now.
Anyone have have this book?

5 Likes

Zen bean shucking Sunday.

Now with Butter beans.

9 Likes

Into the bottle . . .

It is a bit more “hot” than I’d like, but a few ice cubes fix that. The orange and chamomile come through really nicely.

10 Likes

Do you dry them or freeze them?

5 Likes

Today is a good day. We moved house a couple of weeks ago (not the good part) to a place with a gas stove and a proper wok burner and today is the first time in three years I’ve used my well-loved wok. I also played with a familiar stir-fried tofu dish, basing it on sambal belacan rather than the usual black pepper or dried black limes. Good choice.

16 Likes

I’m starving. And in work. I hate you.

See? If I was still WFH I could just nip downstairs and have that, or a dish inspired by it, whipped up in mere minutes for me and my beloved. Work sucks.

12 Likes

Yeah, I only made this because Monday is one of my WFH days.

12 Likes

had another banana tree start to bear and it was time to “nueter” the bunch (cut the unopened male blossom from the bunch) and cook it up! didn’t want to make another curry, so i found this recipe for Vietnamese vegan fishcakes. (although i did add fish sauce to mine, otherwise it is vegan)
really easy, relatively quick make. recipe calls for tinned banana blossom, but the fresh flower worked just fine!

10 Likes

Congratulations! Happy cooking.

5 Likes

The beans? They rarely last a few days.
8-Bit Love GIF by PAC-MAN™

7 Likes

I’ve been curious about how one cooks with banana blossoms since I first saw them at the market. How much flavor do they have?

5 Likes

the flavor is neutral to mild. it is sometimes called a good meat substitute like jackfruit, because it takes on the seasonings, yet maintains a firm texture. i have made jackfruit tacos that were actually quite good.
we had mum’s nephew, a Dominican gentleman, over for lunch (backstory here to complete the picture: young cousin knows mum is fond of our iggies, yet knowing the state FWC condones their eradication, sends recipes for iguana stew and the like to get a start from her) so we served up my jackfruit tacos with lots of my habanero sauce. he enjoyed it, but his face went pale when i told him it was iguana.
never got another “recipe” from him! was i mean? yeeeaaahh…

13 Likes

How I Met Your Mother Sitcom GIF by Laff

10 Likes
4 Likes

Yep! I watch her more than many others on da Tube.

4 Likes

I have finally perfected my tea egg process.

13 Likes