Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Ooh. Please post a pic of a cross section, if you would.

8 Likes

I already ate this one. :yum::egg: But I’ll get a pic of the next one

9 Likes

Cool.
I’ve been wanting to try these for a while. Do you have any helpful tips you learned that would be worth sharing?
From the videos I’ve seen posted, it looks pretty straightforward, but I imagine you picked up some things.

7 Likes

What finally worked for me was using the right ingredients – in particular, DARK soy sauce. I had always assumed that “dark” was the usual brown stuff you see on the table in Asian restaurants. No, that’s actually “light”. Dark soy sauce is very dark, concentrated and salty. I also used Shaoxing cooking wine for the first time.

10 Likes

I use Shaoxing when I make risotto! A few other Western dishes as well. Fusion cooking is a lot of fun.

11 Likes

By request:

Mmmm.

I prefer just barely hardboiled over the slightly softboiled the tea egg recipes usually call for. It might be less “authentic”, but it lets me soak my eggs in the tea for much longer. These have been soaking 5 days.

ETA I also use the steaming method to make “boiled” eggs

14 Likes

We now have so many cherry tomatoes in the freezer, drying this batch for storage. So pretty!

15 Likes

Oh, interesting method. I’ve always boiled them for 6-7 minutes, cracked the shells, added ingredients, and boiled for another 6-7. I’ll have to try your method of soaking. Thanks!!

8 Likes

This is the recipe: Chinese Tea Eggs - The Woks of Life

I sub regular peppercorns for Sichuan and use pickled (sushi) ginger if there’s no fresh ginger on hand.

I steam-cook room-temperature eggs for 12 minutes, then a bath of ice water to chill for 15 minutes. Then crack the shells and soak in the “broth” for several days.

6 Likes

oh, yes! in fact, i tried this from Aika Levins today, (Guardian link attached) a three-dish fusion of Japanese and Middle Eastern. a lot of prep, but damn, i love it when it all comes together and you know you nailed it!
grilled chicken and green onion skewers with pomegranate molasses/oyster sauce glaze, seaweed/sesame flatbread cooked on the grill and smacked cucumber radish salad with tahini. when i read through this, i thought it would be great.
it was outstanding!

10 Likes

Fusion cooking is so cool. We do it almost daily here at Foggy Cottage kitchen and grill. San Francisco California.

9 Likes

right-o! flavors like an artist’s palette and you just know these things will work together, (i’m no artist, but i am adventurous. sometimes my imagination is bigger than the dish).
Jamaican curry goat in a tortilla with scrambled eggs, cheese, cilatro, onions and habanero sauce as a breakfast burrito, for example. (we do some fridge-clearing bfast burritos around here!)
right now, it is time for a well deserved dessert of a fluffy waffle with my “special” butter (wink, wink). the mum likes hers with dark chocolate syrup and i prefer a slather of local honey from Keys Bees.
we’ll be turning in early tonight.

13 Likes

Sunday bean shucking Zen.

6 Likes

We love goat. Not easy to find.
SF luckily has a diverse and ethnic food history and with a little looking we found it.
And OMGoat, the cheese!

6 Likes

oh, yes… the fabulous cheeses!
i grew up on a goat farm in central texas. goat milk, cheese, (ice cream!) and meat were all part of what we lived on. i love all things goat!
mum was the cheese maker. from fantastic yogurt to silky smooth ricotta, cottage curds and semi soft chevre to this one hard cheese that was oily, very whiffy, salty and so damn tasty! the Mexican family on the farm next to ours just went bonkers for that one, trading all kinds of produce from their gardens with us. it was a grating cheese, much like a manchego gone funky.

8 Likes

I like kale more after reading this:

8 Likes

Finally, a use for kale that I can salute!

4 Likes

This is just all kind of wrong?
#TraderJoes

7 Likes

100% wrong.

That should be a mead. :wink:

@docosc

8 Likes

Oh my lord…

eye bleach GIF

6 Likes