Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

And a new mains flex as a priority before you even think of plugging it in.

6 Likes

coca cola coke GIF by The Coca-Cola Company

5 Likes

What happened to the backside? It almost looks like they shoved a different mixer’s motor into the shell of the KitchenAid.

5 Likes

Whoot! I think I have the same one different color.

6 Likes

Okay, if I add a maraschino cherry to my Gin and Tonic as it still a G&T?

6 Likes

Obviously. I may test if it works at all first but the state of the cord is the main reason I haven’t yet. The wire is bare is some spots…

That is what the back end of them look like. The tilt head models still have a separate cap back there, but the older Hobart made/designed models have this same much smaller cap.

Under there (on this one) is the electro-mechanical switch that controls speed, some electronic components and the housing for the motor. Which here is basically built into the mixer housing. The coils and what have are separately screwed direct to the housing, and the brushes actually screw through the sides as separate replaceable parts. Rather than the motor being an all in one drop in.

The cap gives easy direct access to the motor set up and some other critical bits. Part of the whole built for fixin aspect.

These things are roughly speaking put together like old pinball machines.

3 Likes

Well I risked it and plugged it in. It not only works by has working speed controls.

Makes a racket, but seems like it just needs a deep clean and new grease. I’m a little mystified some one tossed it. Working but unrestored ones seem to go for a few hundred bucks and it’s really well known how repairable these things are.

8 Likes

I don’t remember that being so pronounced, and I’ve had a total of 3, starting with one from the 1950s. Maybe it’s the angle of the photo.

5 Likes

Maybe contrast from the harsh overhead lighting in here.

But the size difference seems to be bigger on these bowl lift ones. The other sizes and tilt heads don’t look to have as much of a step down. And my mother’s old unit, which was a Hobart made late 80’s referb, definitely didn’t.

4 Likes

It’s clearly cursed.

Probably possesed by the spirit of the first owner, now all foodstuffs made using it are imbued with their deep bitterness towards all things living.

You’ll probably need to experiment with adding baking powder and/or extra fat or sugar to recipes and there might be some ceiling crawling and projectile vomiting but otherwise no biggie.

10 Likes

Yes I have a knife just for Chicken.
Flea market find $13.

9 Likes

Cursed objects and bitterness towards all living things is kinda my vibe though.

9 Likes

How do you keep it sharp?

6 Likes

The chickens just scrape it along the sidewalk as they are stalking their victims.

Awards Muppets GIF

10 Likes

Cheap water stones. I want to take a knife sharpening class at Bernal cutlery: Knife Skills Classes – Bernal Cutlery

4 Likes

Oh, now you’ve done it!

(Knife sharpening is one of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse around here!!)

9 Likes

a76ef85c-bcdc-46fc-a616-ed35a9f26e51_text

9 Likes

Mostly chick peas with a little chicken, cooked in saffron, paprika, cumin and chicken stock. Quick, easy and very good.

12 Likes

8lbs of quince from a friend’s tree!
Will cook, then process

12 Likes

Got to say that my purchase of a Bamix immersion blender was well worth the cost. This morning it let me make eggs Benedict in about 10 minutes:
Toast English muffins.
Put egg yolk and lemon juice in blender jar.
Start heating Canadian bacon.
Clarify butter.
Pour butter over egg mix, blend away until sauce forms, season to taste.
Put whole egg in glass dish with a bit of water, microwave 35 seconds.
Plate and serve.
When mom asks me to list the ways she can have an egg for breakfast, this expands the list. I don’t know about her but I find scrambled with cheese 5 days out of 7 boring.

7 Likes