Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

not a thing wrong with that!
resident pepperhead sez hot sauces go with many things, sweet and savory!

6 Likes

today we were gifted an early season mahi-mahi (about 4kg whole) from a fishing buddy and i cleaned it up, froze a bunch then proceeded to make this:

a beautiful fresh mahi ceviche. 1/2kg fish, salted, cubed, one orange bell pepper, 2 serranos, 2 roma-type tomatoes, 1/2 red onion (all diced) and a big bunch of cilantro (coriander leaf) and a bunch of fresh mint, crushed and finely chopped together. mixed all in the dish with 2Tbls garlic chili paste (Huy Fong) and juice from 6 lemons and 4 limes. let marinate 20-30 minutes and serve with tostados and avocado.
whoa! the mint was a new addition someone turned me on to.
outta this world, y’all!

14 Likes

Season 8 Episode 10 GIF by The Simpsons

10 Likes

That looks amazing! How large are the cut pieces of fish?

6 Likes

thanks! the fish was a tail section filet that was salted, a couple twists of ground black pepper and then cubed into about 1.5cm chunks.
mahi takes to ceviche very well, staying solid without “overcooking” in the citrus. many other fish will do, but i don’t like sole or flounder or any other “soft” white fish, as they do sort of melt in the acid.

mahi-mahi is such a wide spread and prolific species world over. do you get mahi down there (dorado, dolphinfish)? i know my papi on the Pacific side of way south Mexico (Oaxaca) gets them, abundantly! lionfish makes awesome ceviche. i know you can get them.

9 Likes

Lionfish might actually be protected in the S Pacific, where it’s native! As crazy as that sounds here.

9 Likes

ain’t that sumpin’?
i have been trained for years to either alert the dive guide (when out of the country - Carribean) or to take with predjudice in local waters. bastards are horrible, invasive predators here.
tasty, tasty predators that shouldn’t be here (as you know full well).

8 Likes

Honestly I’m not sure and even if we did mislabelling is endemic here. I’ve seen recipes for barramundi ceviche so I might give that a go.

8 Likes

Looks like they are native to the more tropical waters of WA, NT, Queensland, and NSW but not the more temparate southern waters.

Also, it looks like mahi mahi is the right name for them.

8 Likes

yeah, i never liked “dolphin(fish)” as the name for it. too much misunderstood baggage there. dorado seems the name in the Pacific, even if mahi-mahi is a Hawaiian name.
:man_shrugging:t4:

ETA: sorry, foodies! didn’t mean to venture us into a fishing thread.
however! if we can discuss culinary differences and attributes of certain seafoods… i could offer some (highly opinionated) takes on such.
ok. maybe let’s don’t.

7 Likes

Oooh, I’m currently splitting my time between Melbourne and Brisbane so will look for it when I’m next in Brizzy.

5 Likes

I’m picturing something like Celebrity Death Match but for seafood? That deserves it’s own topic!

5 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

Had a very belated latke-fest last night: traditional, sweet potato, zucchini and herb, curried vegetable and apple, except that we were so full after the first four I never fried up the apple batter. Getting the prep done wasn’t too bad-the shredder attachment for the kitchen aide let me get finished in just over an hour. I discovered that running the machine at a slower speed makes it easier for the grated veg to fall out. The old version used a conical shape which encouraged this, but the new ones are a drum shape and don’t tilt at all. It’s easy for the drum to get packed full of shredded whatever, necessitating a manual removal.

9 Likes

Goddammit! I take that stuff for Type 2 diabetes. It lowers my blood sugar by about 10-20 points in the morning.

Now there is a market for abusing it. As if my prescription for the stuff wasn’t troublesome enough.

9 Likes

And the doctors who are so scared of people being fat that they will write these scrips…

4 Likes

Yum. The hens are producing again, after a slow winter.

Off to “quick, please show me how to make cupcakes from the box recipe, then go upstairs and stay away” with my son, before his “she’s not my girlfriend” comes over to make cupcakes and spend her birthday with him.

13 Likes

That plate!:heart:

5 Likes

Looks like an exorcism might be in order :wink:

5 Likes