Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

always searching for new ways to use the bounty of my habanero crops, i came across a recipe for habanero beer mustard. so i ordered up 3 pounds of mustard seeds - 2lb yellow and 1lb brown. soaked in a bowl overnight in apple cider vinegar and Guinness Stout:

then, blitzed in the blender with honey and fresh habs from the garden to a consistency of a good deli or pub brown mustard:

into sterilized jars to sit and mature for a couple - three weeks:

the mustard is very sharp and pungent now, but should mellow and blend as it ages to allow more of the beer, honey and peppers do their part in developing the flavor.
next up - habanero jelly!

14 Likes

Do you process the sterilized then filled bottles and jars further (water bath or pressure) after you fill them?

6 Likes

no need. it is very acidic. my pH probe bit the dust, so i don’t have a number, but by my experience, this should be around 3.5-4.0. still, it will be refrigerated, just to be safe(r).
the jelly that i will be making will get the water bath treatment, as it will be very sugary.

6 Likes

Would that recipe work without the habaneros, just as a general honey/beer mustard?

7 Likes

reckon it would. the habs are thrown in fresh in the grinding stage, so sure, don’t add them.
the habaneros aren’t able to overcome the pungency of the mustard at this point, but should start to add heat and flavor as it ages. right now, it tastes like straight horseradish and there isn’t a lick of horseradish in the stuff!
i think it would make a lovely honey-beer brown mustard!

8 Likes

And now my follow-up question, since you didn’t get my subtlety:

Are you willing to share the recipe?

Veronica Lodge Please GIF by Camila Mendes

8 Likes

oh, my! how negligent of me!
of course! this is what i followed, but i doubled the recipe and tripled the habanero (that you won’t need).

eta: i do think it could use more honey.

10 Likes

So it’s basically a 1-1-1 (mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, beer/stout) recipe, but the 2-3 Tbs of honey doesn’t cut it, so maybe 4-6?

It’s a simple enough recipe that I could see doing this in a smaller amount as needed so as to avoid the need for sterilization, etc.

Thanks!

8 Likes

I have had very good luck making mustard over the years.
Thank you, you may have kick started me to do this.

8 Likes

Smart: using the infrared thermometer to get precise temperature for frying.
Dumb: not noticing it was on Celsius. I figured it out when the smoke alarm went off.

15 Likes

Just catching up on this thread, and speaking of the pizza abominations mentioned upthread, this is the most famous “sandwich” where I am right now:

Mr. Linkey got one for dinner. Not my thing at all, but it had to be tried. A meat bomb wrapped in bread and cheese, served in a tart tomato soup/sauce.

11 Likes

Portugal is a particularly hard country to eat in if one of your family members is vegan!

Don’t forget to eat a pastel de nata in every town, to compare recipes!

10 Likes

Thank you Lord for making the world various!

But I am so not ever ever ever gonna eat that!

11 Likes

I’ve noticed! We aren’t vegan, but I have friends who are, so I’m always kind of on the lookout.
I’ve mainly been enjoying the seafood here, so far. And, of course, the pastel de nata. I’m so glad I am not gluten or dairy intolerant!
As a wine fan, I’m finding it delightfully insane that I can order what I assume, based on price, is a glass of wine at a cafe, and end up getting a whole bottle.

13 Likes

Empty Old Bay container hack.
Added a LED timer tea light.

14 Likes

Tonight’s menu: pecan encrusted pork chops, curried apple sauce, roasted brussels sprouts. I started a new job back in October that’s been kicking my rear - lots of fun and all that, but cooking has been taking a back seat and that makes me sad. I’m hoping that as I get more settled in that I have more time/motivation for kitchen adventures. My other half is taking off for a week and change tomorrow, so there’s going to be a lot of freezer and pantry raiding in the upcoming days.

14 Likes
7 Likes

Cooking is a adventure!

6 Likes

Instant beer killed it! :beer:

9 Likes

I know that’s not their market, but if this is any good, I can see it taking off for backpacking and similar niche markets. But it looks like they’re planning on using it to sell German beer at discount prices to markets without a tradition of quality beer. Which is a bit of a skeezy move and doesn’t exactly show that they have confidence in their own product.

Also:

Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle has shown no images of its powdered beer at this stage, so we had an AI come up with some completely phony packaging ideas instead for your entertainment

Fuck you

8 Likes