Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

“just add beer!”

10 Likes

It’s also alcohol free, because dehydrated alcohol isn’t a thing, though I guess AF is increasing in popularity.

6 Likes

Dehydrated isn’t, but powdered is.

5 Likes

That stuff would only work in a mixed drink, as it would add lots of sweetness to the beer IMO.

4 Likes

We made pumpkin spice cupcakes, because it’s always Halloween somewhere.

The Kid decorated them herself.

13 Likes

Literally sounds awesomesauce.

6 Likes

Kid decorations for the win! :heart:

6 Likes

Made some roasted garlic and rosemary focaccia. Came out incredible.

Recipe here. Made in the 9x13, I think I’ll tone down the oil in the pan to a 1/4 cup next time

15 Likes

That looks amazing. A singed leaf of rosemary like these gives food so much oomph. If I had to eat a whole bowl full, it’d get tiresome, but like that, it’s perfect.

6 Likes

Wonderful!

4 Likes

Spent a couple hours here this afternoon:
http://mercadocentralsalamanca.com/

It was a feast for the eyes as well as the belly. Poultry stands have the meat, but also eggs ranging from tiny little quail eggs all the way up to goose eggs.
My favorite snacks were from this place:
http://mercadocentralsalamanca.com/index.php/portfolio/alimentacion-maria/

It doesn’t show in the photo, but they have a wide variety of “pickle kebabs” on big toothpicks. My favorite was olives, pickle, and with some little peppers and some kind of small fish, also had one with olives wrapped in anchovies, and one with octopus, pickle, pickled onion, roasted red pepper…and something else. That one was too much to do in one go. The market isn’t open tomorrow and I’m already regretting not getting one of every type!

@anon33932455 - some of them reminded me of that appetizer you made for, maybe x-mas? something with gherkin, egg white and anchovy, IIRC?

12 Likes

Yes! And the olives+anchovies is one of my favorites. Nobody will touch it but me, though.

7 Likes

Gearing up for Passover, which is Wednesday. I had ordered my fish ground from the kosher market, and thought I would get it this week. Nope, it won’t be ready until Tuesday, when I am on call for jury duty. So I’m just going to process my own tomorrow and make my gefilte fish early. A good try out for the new food processor.
Been making mostly very simple stuff that I think mom will eat more readily, and it’s been working, mostly but I’m bored.

11 Likes

how it works dan aykroyd GIF by Saturday Night Live
ETA: Chag sameach!

7 Likes

These products are like crack.

5 Likes

That’s a shame! I remember you said of your appetizer that it somehow transformed all the constituent parts into something totally different, and I completely understand now. The olive/anchovy thing was much “softer” in flavor than I expected. It was lovely.
Heading to southern France/Basque country next. If anyone has any food-related “must try” dishes, please let me know, either here or on the trip advisor page!

7 Likes

Basque (hard) cider is supposedly great stuff. I’ve never had it, but there is a local cidery that makes Basque-style ciders that has won awards there, and is legit. It’s dry and tangy but really tasty.

8 Likes

We have the Meat!

12 Likes

Shakshuka, fresh eggs.

14 Likes

Dry and tangy cider? What’s the name, please!

6 Likes