Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Famously recipes tend to begin with sweating your onions “five minutes” and you know that they are lying/an intern/have never cooked properly.

11 Likes

So, got me interested, as I like seaweed salad myself, and I love al dente stuff.

This one is made with kombu, and as a plus, you end up making dashi for soups.

He does specifically mention that wakamame is a bit more delicate and soft, and I’ve seen a few sush seaweed salads that say they often have multiple types of seaweed,

9 Likes

“I’ve already prepared something…”, said the TV chef.1)

1) Standing idiom since the 1970ies.

9 Likes

That’s why I liked Keith Floyd, he wouldn’t have been doing much before filming, except maybe drinking.

7 Likes

“Carmelize onions, 10 minutes”

8 Likes

I think the equivalent idiom in English is “here’s one I prepared earlier”.

Of course in both cases they are lying, because it was more than likely their assistants that prepared it.

10 Likes

I’ve done this before. Its a great way to recycle kombu used previously for homemade dashi.

4 Likes

Thanks! I might give that a try. We have everything except the radish.

6 Likes

Well, one of the reasons they lie.

11 Likes
4 Likes

This made a happy start to my morning.
Add two espressos to that. Perfect!

11 Likes

Street phô, Saigon.

14 Likes

Limes and chilies! Spicy much?

5 Likes

This looks like a marvelous culinary trip. Sorry if I missed it above, but is this research for a future course or personal travel? Or maybe both?

6 Likes

Mostly personal, but I’ve picked up a couple recipes I’ll do next time I teach the food course.

8 Likes

I made this tonight. Pretty much on recipe, except I didn’t have the daikon radish, so used cucumber in the salad and just skipped it in the broth. Upped the peppercorns to make up for the loss of spice.
Came out really good. And I had a mug of the broth with some cooked rice as a snack while I let the salad chill. Very good.
Our kombu seems less robust than in the video. Good, but not as thick. So I’m still on the hunt for some agar. I think that’s the special snappy ingredient in the one I’m trying to recreate.

7 Likes

Sunday Farmers Market Fava bean Zen shuck.

11 Likes

Street Pad Thai, Bangkok

Near to Reclining Buddha.

17 Likes

Anyone want to help me crowd source a recipe? I’ve been looking around, but so far nothing is quite right.
Here’s the challenge:
I have some yummy bits in the pantry, yogurt covered pretzels, some almonds, graham crackers, this and that.
My goal is to turn them into something like edible bowls for ice cream.
I don’t have a waffle cone iron, so all those waffle cone recipes are out.
I like the idea of a cookie dough base pressed into muffin tins, but the recipes online seem kind of all over the place. And figuring out the ratios of “add ins” I can get away with would be tricky.

Any tips?

Can I make the waffle batter, but cook it like a crepe, then press it into form?

5 Likes

You could go for a granola bar consistency instead of a waffle cone/cookie dough consistency, where the stuff is held together mostly by a sweet syrup and some flour.

7 Likes