Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Ooh, I like that idea.
Any tips on specifics? The few times I’ve made anything akin to a granola bar, it’s been more flexible/gooey and less crunchy.

6 Likes

No exact amounts, sorry. Over all, more flour should make a crispier mix.One thought-make a flexible mix, form it around the outside of a cupcake tin and bake it for a few minutes longer. It should get pretty crispy when it’s cooled. Adding an egg and a bit more flour would make it closer to a cookie texture. I would test what ever mix I started with, just baking a bit on a tray to see how crispy it gets.
Whichever you do, chop your goodies to a medium dice.
This recipe sounds like a good starting point: Crisp Homemade Granola Recipe you would add the eschewed egg to aid in it holding together.

8 Likes

Thanks, great tips. And bonus points for the use of “eschewed.” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Another thought-if you go with the flexible molded idea the method used to make tuiles might work. You bake the mix in rounds then form it over the cups/bowls you want while it’s hot and let it cool and crisp up. Otherwise there is the danger that the mix might succumb to gravity as it bakes and fall away from the top of the cupcake tin.

6 Likes

Lost in the aisle of noodles.

eta: I’d have taken a more panoramic shot of how big the aisle is, but the back camera on my phone is out.

8 Likes

me, i would just go with the red ones at the far right. that sells me without even knowing what it says.
it just looks spicier than the others.
i loves my noodles hot!

9 Likes

Oh yeah, at normal supermarkets, my (only) choice is Shin ramen in a spicy red package.

But in a place with a noodle section big enough to interest the SCP Foundation, I felt I had to experiment.

9 Likes

I was initially disappointed by the packet of noodles. Then I realized that the box was too heavy. Rather than five noodle packets, it was two noodles and two big foil bags containing the soup and tofu.

Spicy enough to clear your sinuses and constrict your throat at the same time!

Having the soup in foil bags lets them get more elaborate with the flavor than the powder packets in instant ramen, and the tofu pieces really are that big.

I liked it, but I don’t think I’d get this particular one again. I like thicker noodles. Also, with separate spice packets I can dial down the heat by not using all of it, depending on what I want. This is more of a special occasion soup than a daily driver ramen.

11 Likes

it’s taco tuesday, y’all!

carne molida, taquiera style, with cerveza Modelo. cilantro and chopped peppers from the garden.

11 Likes

Weird food related story.
My older brother cooked 2 large bone in rib-eyes for my Dad last year. My Dad was living on his own for the first time in 60+ years, after my mom had recently passed. The cooked steaks were vacuum sealed and left in my Dad’s freezer.

About 8 months later my brother passed away. Last week, while over at my Dad’s place, he wanted to give me the steaks. They were too big for him to eat by himself and he has to avoid red meat.

I brought them home. My wife won’t go near them. She thinks they are cursed “death steaks”. Its a bit weird eating the last thing prepared by someone long passed. But it is still a good looking and decently cooked steak. I hate wasting food.

I want to know what the crowd here thinks of it.

10 Likes

Eat them as a celebration of your family.

9 Likes

Shark Tank Good Answer GIF by ABC Network

6 Likes

I agree with @BakerB on this, they aren’t cursed death steaks, they’re a symbol of love in your family, maybe one of the last tangible acts of love your brother did for your dad. I’d think of eating it as a sweet tribute to that feeling, and hope you can celebrate when you do eat them.

11 Likes

Tell us about your brother. Was he the type to say “waste not, want not”; was he the type to have an emotional connection to food; was he the type to put being around family and eating with them high on his priority list? Basically, what I’m asking is how would HE want you to think about this? Because this is about your relationship with him.

10 Likes

He liked cooking, but wasn’t particularly great at it. He liked being a host or having company to dine with. He was a bit of a proto edgelord type. Difficult for many to be around.

But he also never watched what he ate nor kept himself in decent health. A few more salads in his life wouldn’t have hurt.

He would want me to eat them Specifically because it sounds cool to “eat a dead man’s steak”

12 Likes

Chow down. Skip the A1 sauce though.

6 Likes

This is the way.

11 Likes

As someone who has eaten dead people’s food over many years I have always seen it as a privilege to still have them in your life. I remember cracking open a bottle of my grandfather’s elderflower wine over 20 years ago in celebration. I had looked after him a lot as he was dying and it was a last gift that I appreciated.

As a never believer in higher powers I always welcome ritual to sacralise significant moments and changes.

It’s in the same vein as the joy you get from giving things that belonged to dead loved ones to people who will also enjoy them.

12 Likes

You have your answer, then!

Enjoy, and remember all those components of the complete person your brother was while you do.

10 Likes

Like, the rump roast and the tenderloin?

5 Likes