Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

That looks amazing.

9 Likes

Some of you will already know this but others might not (I did not until today when I heard about it on the radio):

1300 recipes and more.

13 Likes

Does it have candy bar recipes?

8 Likes

That would somewhat hinge on your definition of candy bar.
I understand chocolate and confectionery are discussed.

7 Likes

10 Likes

squirrel haggis

:thinking:

11 Likes

Those things are gonna be tiny.

6 Likes

were not worthy waynes world GIF

5 Likes

Doing our weekly menu planning is one of my favorite household chores. I love pulling out our cookbooks and recipe cards, making a menu, then making the shopping list. And having our menu up on the fridge has stopped that oh-so-annoying-to-me after-work query from my delightful living partner, “what should we have for dinner?” I don’t know why it annoyed me so much, but it did, and this tactic stopped it completely.
Anyway, check this out! Our local grocery store just added a meal planning function on their website. You set your preferences, including dietary resrictions, select recipes, and it generates a draft shopping list. And then you can go in and substitute ingredients or delete them if it’s something you already have. It’s the most useful version of something like this that I’ve seen yet.
https://www.shaws.com/meal-plans-recipes/guest
I probably won’t use it because I like our cookbooks, but I think this would be amazing for a young person first living on their own and figuring all this stuff out!

13 Likes

He doesn’t consume a lot of them, but a friend has been making musical instruments from knotweed:

8 Likes

Strawberry pistachio galette, the NYT recipe.

11 Likes

neat GIF

8 Likes

I was born in 1950. It seems like the candy bars are getting smaller?
For a while I think they made them smaller and charged the same price. And now they are just as small and the price is still going up?

3 Likes

Yup. happens with just about everything; the grocery shrink ray. You aren’t imagining things.

4 Likes

Because reasons for some time in some markets Curly Wurly was sold as:

3-musketiers-Alte-Verackung-von-Curly-Wurly-e1588181751150

8 Likes

I suppose there are three strands

6 Likes

But why were musketeers always shown involved in sword fights?

7 Likes

Genuine answer?

Because the musketeers portrayed in Dumas’ novel (les Mousquetaires de la garde) were the king’s guard at the time. They didn’t necessarily only fight with muskets and they were actually a cavalry unit.[1] Obviously, as a 17th century guard unit, the nimble sword was the more important weapon over the cumbersome musket. Add to that duelling culture, which actually fits better into Dumas’ time than Louis XIV’s, and you get a slightly anachronistic swashbuckling fraternity.

1. A shift of meaning away from their original function they share, for example, with the British king’s Grenadier Guards, who, to the best of my knowledge, don’t guard the monarch with hand grenades ↩︎

13 Likes

Not really, no!

5 Likes

IMG_2467

Smell is the sense most linked to memory.

Scents bypass the thalamus and go straight to the brain’s smell center, known as the olfactory bulb. The olfactory bulb is directly connected to the amygdala and hippocampus, which might explain why the smell of something can so immediately trigger a detailed memory or even intense emotion.

10 Likes