Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Band name! They do covers of the classics.

In other news, I made a double batch of the delicious hot chili garlic oil yesterday. We’ve been traveling for a couple months, and it was the longest I’ve gone without it since I started making it about 10 years ago.
All is right with the world again. Or, at least, my kitchen.

11 Likes

Vietnamese pizza (Bánh Tráng Nướng). Inspired by my recent visit. It’s incredibly easy to make.

Heat oil in a pan, on high
Add rice paper spring roll wrapper
Put two raw eggs on top and swirl around to cover the wrapper
Add toppings of choice (this was shredded chicken, basil, chives, and some greens, preheated in microwave)
Squirt a circle of sriracha
Squirt a circle of kewpie mayo

Swirl pan while cooking to keep wrapper from sticking. Slide onto a paper towel to absorb extra oil. Serve.

I serve it folded in half and eat it like a taco. But you can cut it into wedges to share.

14 Likes

Yes, please! :yum:

5 Likes

Neat, I want to try that. Do you hydrate the spring roll wrapper first? Is it the same kind I use to make spring rolls where I soak them in water then wrap the yummy ingredients?

5 Likes

Yes the same type. These:

No soaking ahead of time. Just get the oil hot, and lay one on top. Then the egg, while it’s softening. The rice paper will crisp up. After the egg, toppings to taste. Tuna seems to be popular. The kewpie mayo and sriracha give it a nice tang.

12 Likes

15 Likes

Aaannnddd….

I just bottled a bitter orange peel and vanilla liqueur. Made with dried bitter orange peel, vanilla beans, Skyy vodka and 190 Everclear. It marinated for six weeks. Tastes like a creamsicle. Clocks in at around 95 proof.

9 Likes

It was the tea he sipped through the madeleines!

11 Likes

He only used a madeleine because they hadn’t invented the Tim Tam Slam yet.

9 Likes

Oooh. Can you please post a link or directions?

6 Likes

Sure. It’s my own recipe. Here’s a shot of my recipe book. Vanilla beans (Madagascar) were purchased online, and slit open. Bitter orange was also purchased online. As noted, more orange peel next time. Perhaps 3-5 zested? Vodka and Everclear are in ML and L. Combine first four ingredients and let sit for six weeks. Swirl the container daily. Sugar and water are made into a simple syrup. Strain the booze, combine with the syrup, and heat until steam rises. Bottle, and keep in freezer. Serve over ice.

9 Likes

Les,
So cool to have Moms recipe.
Family food is a place of memories. And there is great value in saving and passing along.
Here is drink in my Dads handwriting from one of he and my mother’s times with Ansel Adams ( I know! ) I think from a snowy winter in Yosemite.

8 Likes

I love that they would sub in snow for shaved ice. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m trying to think why I’ve never thought of that and all I can come up with is that drinks involving shaved ice are more generally on my summer menu? But I’m going to add that in next winter.

6 Likes

Yes! I think they were in a snowbound location and later when my Father recalled the drink he added shaved ice for our summer bound times.
Adult snow cone, it contains booze.

6 Likes

Ooh, that’s gorgeous. On the list for summer.

Ok, you can’t just drop Ansel Adams Iike that and not tell.

7 Likes

Please?

ETA

And I’m not ashamed to say I tried to look up the Dariene grill Hong Kong.

ETA
Parisian Grill? Pre WWII restaurant. Reopened after the war.
Tiffin - Dinner

https://gwulo.com/media/12322

6 Likes

My Mom and Dad were photographic models for many of Ansel Adams’s Kodak sponsored photo shoots and became friends.
Ansel did a bunch of commercial work for Kodak.
This photo was probably taken by my Dad. Ansel said as long as Dad didn’t take photos of Ansel taking photos, it was okay.
I hope someday to turn up those photo advertisements from the 1950’s and early 1960’s.
BtW, Mom will be 103 next January. Dad passed about 12 years ago.

14 Likes

Putting up something about the A. Adam’s connection.

7 Likes

Amazing!

Like a world class thing that we all dig.

Much respect brother.

10 Likes

That’s just amazing. What a connection. Thanks for sharing this.

7 Likes