Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

When I think “sriracha,” I think of the Huy Fong Foods variety:

Since they’re again facing shortages and I’m unlikely to find it any time soon, can anyone recommend the closest alternative?
In the past I’ve found quite a bit of variation among different brands, but I just wants the “original” again…

5 Likes

Are these shortages regional, or just dependent on the supplier? My local Asian food store had a bunch of bottles last Friday.

5 Likes

There’s less supply overall:

But I don’t know how that’s shaking out regionally. I can say they aren’t in stock at our local grocers (Shaw’s, Hannaford, and a little local natural food place) and haven’t been for ages. I don’t go to Walmart so I’m not sure about there, but just checked Amazon in a moment of desperation, and none of the products listed were available.
We’re in Maine.

7 Likes

Quick, plant some peppers!

6 Likes

Or, be really really nice to @FloridaManJefe!

8 Likes

i think i heard about Huy Fong getting shorted on peppers in a double-whammy/double-cross where drought and climate warming reduced the crop significantly, compounded by his single supplier renegotiating their contract in order to produce their own version of his product. [citation forthcoming].
that said, the Huy Fong sriracha, sambal and chili garlic paste have been off the shelves at local Publix for many months.

@chgoliz , very kind. if i could send peppers to everyone, i would love it! right now, i have two 5 liter salt crocks fermenting pepper pastes from our pepper gardens and it is early in the season yet.
stay tuned!

EDIT: turns out differently than i recall. supplier sued the company for damages from crop loss because they grew only for him (Huy Fong Foods, the company):

7 Likes

How did the cereal bar ice cream bowls work out?

4 Likes

I haven’t made them yet. I couldn’t find anything that seemed quite right for my purposes of using up some old yoghurt covered pretzels and almonds…now I’m leaning towards just trying a chocolate cup with those ingredients incorporated. But we’re fresh out of chocolate chips. So it’ll be another trip to the store.
I’ll report back.
@FloridaManJefe , in the sriracha drama, I also saw something recently where, due to the “spy balloon” incidents, that company is maybe being blocked from buying land in Montana. But I can’t find it now, so I might be misremembering the state. IIRC, they wanted the land to grow corn, not peppers, so not sure if it’s related.
ETA: it was a different company. My bad. I blame Mr.Linkey for steering me wrong, but also myself for not checking first. Am much chagrined. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

So, that grower, Underwood Ranches, turned “lemons” into “lemonade” and started making their own various types of hot sauces, including a Sriracha (link to the grower’s own online store).

Here it is on Amazon:

I wonder if you’re aware of their product? I’m not a user of Sriracha, so I’ll leave it to you to compare ingredients to the one you miss, or to look up reviews of it, if you weren’t aware of it…

Also, just for the heck of it, more background on the split between Huy Fong and Underwood Ranches:

5 Likes

Mississippi. Minnesota. Made in New Jersey. :laughing: WTF do any of those places have to do with maple syrup, or each other for that matter? Must be made for the export market to hit as many “American” key words as possible.

9 Likes

Oh, you don’t know about Minnesota Maple?

It’s like Texas Toast.

(Not really. That is a hilarious bottle design. I love thinking about how many people signed off on that and thought, “yeah, that’s a good idea!”)

9 Likes

Hmmm…I’ll bite.

“Mississippi”
“Minnesota”
“Made in New Jersey”
and
“Maple Syrup”

all start with the letter “M”?

That’s all I’ve got.

(Just for the record: by chance I happened to finish eating some pancakes with maple syrup moments before I read your post. Real maple syrup from Wisconsin…which starts with an upside-down M.)

9 Likes

I saw a recipe today that actually listed “pancake syrup” as one of the ingredients.

That was only one of about a half-dozen red flags in that recipe!

11 Likes

And Vermont is an upside down half M…

Always Sunny Fx GIF
:joy:

7 Likes

Yes! Zen Fava shucking Sunday. The beans are getting big, perhaps the last crop of this season?

I just realized that the beans remind me of parakeet or parrot heads.

9 Likes

Street food at a Stockholm flea market, billed as Swahili samosas: ground meat (beef?) with onion bits and spicy but not hot seasonings inside a thin samosa wrapper, deep fried and served “burn the roof of your mouth” hot with a sweet chili dipping sauce. :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Is there a central African diaspora there?

9 Likes

Sunday evening martini.

That’s a fennel frond, in case you are wondering.

11 Likes

These pics aren’t great, because these were consumed so fast, I half-forgot to take them.

These are lobster and corn agnolotti, a recipe I’ve reverse-engineered from Ristorante A Cena in Portland, Oregon.

This is a very simple recipe with only 4 ingredients: lobster, sweet corn, butter, and fresh pasta sheets. You can make fresh pasta yourself or buy fresh pasta sheet to save time and mess.

Poach the lobster and corn kernels in butter lightly. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon onto large, 3”x 5” pasta sheets. Wet a finger and trace a narrow outline along the perimeter of the pasta sheet, fold over the sheet and seal it by pinching the edges together.

Be careful to eliminate as much air as possible before sealing, or the agnolotti will become balloons when you cook them. Speaking of that, cook them like fresh ravioli.

Reserve enough lobster, corn and butter in the pan after making the agnolotti to use as a sauce. The pasta doesn’t need to swim in it; it just needs to be enough to coat the pockets.

13 Likes

Did a dead simple chicken and rice and broccoli in the instant pot and dang, rice cooked with schmaltz is good.
Picked up 20# of rhubarb from the farmer’s market and now have it chopped and ready to become syrup as needed. Got 16# and a bit when trimmed-maybe I was shorted a pound, maybe there was more waste than I anticipated. Either way, it will keep us going for a while.

7 Likes