Hark the"creamy" keyboard clicks

That’s exactly what I meant. At home, sure, I have a fully adjustable chair that should last forever and shopped around to find a desk at the right height for me. Harder to find one that didn’t look like it should be in a cubicle.

But office furniture stores aren’t generally on board, at least in my experience where I am. I don’t have much control over how the office I work in is furnished. I had to buy and install my own keyboard tray there because all the desks in the office are at writing height, not typing height. I’m short, so there’s only so much I can raise a chair before that introduces its own ergonomic problems. The company didn’t go out of their way to get these desks; they’re just what was commonly available. Demand for ergonomic office equipment remains comparatively low.

But I stand by my assertion that your wrists should be elevated when typing. Rests are for, well, resting. This may increase neck and back tension, but relieves pressure on the wrists and reduces the risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

1 Like

A wrist rest as shown at your link is not how you rest your hands. Your hands should sit on the pads at the base of your thumb and hand. Those gel wrist pads are no good and make a pressure point exactly where you don’t want it.

2 Likes

That’s something you may regret, increasing neck and back tension, apart from pinching nerves nearer to your spine, also messes with your posture, and have you ever had one of those knots in your trapezius (where turning your head hurts)?

I have found that my carpal tunnel is due to mousing, as the normal range of motion when moving/clicking is very small, and that’s what causes the RSI, just that small section of thumb tendon being rubbed against the bone.

1 Like

I do like that more than over-clicky mechanical keys. I work in an open-office and there is a guy across from me with the loudest keyboard I’ve heard since I used an IBM XT doubleclick metal keyboard back in the day.

To be fair, it’s really not his fault, but whoever decided we should be in an open office in the first place.

2 Likes

I visited a private Macintosh museum. I wasn’t so surprised that all the (mechanical) keyboards from the 1980s through the early 1990s (from the first Mac 128K through right before the PowerPC models) still were super excellent to type on. The membrane keyboards that came after that looked Jony Ive prettier, but became mushy degraded messes.

Early 2000s I witlessly searched for keyboards to match my memory of the Macintosh Extended Keyboard II, and now I have many choices to replicate that feel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.