Hark the"creamy" keyboard clicks

Originally published at: Hark the"creamy" keyboard clicks | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This is the proper way to use that.

giphy

11 Likes

…can see how one can get insane -ophile when it’s Sibelius passing through, but anything -i- type (including this comment) is by definition unworthy of all that extra sauce.

4 Likes

I mean it is a cool sound. Should use it in music.

2 Likes

That opening sentence was Maximum Beschizza. :joy:

17 Likes

A colleague dug up for me an old Model M – with PS2 to USB adapter – that somehow never got surplussed. It has an asset tag on it that gives an acquisition date of 1/1988 or thereabouts. And, of course, it offers the magical clack and certainty-of-affordance that the buckling spring system provides. I’ve never been happier with my work keyboarding experience.

(To my surprise, though, I miss having a Windows key, which I often used for changing keyboard layouts and locking my workstation.)

1 Like

KBD67lite mkii with 60g POM-stem Krytox-lubed KTT Kang Whites, replica Cherry profile doubleshot ABD Botanicals, screwshank holee-modded stabs with silicone PCB gasket pads, PE foam, a Siless 50mil sound dampening mat and protective hardcase

Been there, done that, wearing the t-shirt, right now!

4 Likes

My Avatar

5 Likes

200-9

5 Likes
9 Likes

I love that sound and feel. I remember the 2nd gen IBM PC my employer got around 1986. The keyboard had this super solid feel and great click. Although at the time it took a wide second to the IBM Selectric typewriter in the office. That thing was the best.

But I digress. I wish these nice keyboards came in much lower profile more like my Apple unit –– so much easier on the wrists when its closer to the desk surface.

1 Like

Knowing I use mechanical keyboards, a coworker recently asked me to recommend one for her to get a friend as a gift. I talked her out of it by asking her what sort of switches her friend liked, then telling her that was a rabbit-hole she did NOT want to get lost in, unless personally interested. She decided on a different gift…

5 Likes

Ctrl + esc will probably do the same thing.

Have we had the American Psycho keyboards parody yet?

5 Likes

I worked as a field tech for IBM, we called them flyplates because if you put the keyboard face down on the table to remove the screws for the backplate, if you didn’t lift the keyboard off the table before removing the back, they all go a flying. Having said that, you get really good a putting them back on, just depress the keytop, place the flyplate on top and slap your finger on it and it pops right back on.

3 Likes

So creamy… and ■■■■■

6 Likes

Indeed, and admirably economical. It’s a Product Details Sandwich, with the pricing toothpick stabbed through the completed build. What it looks like sans bread. Hold the pickles!

3 Likes

Why not use the Inter-Face?

4 Likes

Thank you, this is useful. I have a model M with a broken cable lead, was planning to try to repair it soon, but have never had one apart.

1 Like

I have my Model M apart, right now!

There’s a sticking comma that needs a bit of cleaning.

4 Likes

I need a silent keyboard and mouse so when I’m correcting people on the internet at 3am I won’t wake my wife or the cats.

7 Likes