Harlequin Creature: a zine where every copy is individually hand-typed by volunteers

In Communist countries, dissidents used to do this because even mimeograph machines were tightly controlled by the state.

1 Like

You have really made me think!
I still think you are being sophisticatedly sarcastic or something and I am just too obtuse to grok it.

People often get badly injured doing the thing they love, at oration even; but you can learn to ameliorate the deleterious effects through proper technique and practice. You donā€™t need to develop nodules on your vocal chords from speaking too loudly, too often and in the wrong way.

RSI, (which Iā€™m assuming you are referring to) can also be combated in this way. Perhaps your motivation is informed by some specific knowledge of a more repressive regime of effort which must be employed to drive a typewriter. Or maybe there are other factors at play and again, there goes that obtuseness.

The love and effort which the people making the zine must have for their product would seem like the jumping off point. Immediately going to ā€˜but it might be bad for themā€™ might really be the country next door to ā€˜concern trollā€™ and Iā€™m prepared to believe it, in your case (the whole point of my comment was that I respect you as a commenter and was weirded-out by my reading of the situation).

But Iā€™m sticking to my guns. And my obtuse gunpowder.

*Shrug :slight_smile:

edit: extra word

I see it! Peeping out of the last line there! You canā€™t fool me!

2 Likes

We had water from an artesian well when was growing up. Some people thought it made the coffee taste funny, but we thought it could curate all manner of ills. (It was tough on the percolator guts, though.)

A friend of mine has just begun hand-setting, letterpressing, and binding a 44-page poetry chapbook. Frankly, I find that significantly more impressive than hand-typing every copy would be.

There is nothing like sitting down to do your business on the can, sipping some weasel poop coffee, and cracking open a fresh copy of ā€œdead trees, unpaid labor, and carpal tunnelā€! How else am I supposed to start the day feeling better then everyone else?

6 Likes

That explains the excessive XXXXXXXX for word corrections instead of using corrective tape. I was surprised at how many mistakes were in the small example in the photo. Guess people got pretty used to backspace.

If theyā€™re using carbon paper to make multiple copies at once, they might as well print out copies on a daisy wheel printer (for that authentic look), possibly as @Shuck suggested by using an algorithm to make random errors. Saying they are hand typed and then using copy paper means your copy isnā€™t one of a kind. Which I would think is the point.

hello! thatā€™s correct about the carbons, and youā€™re right on to assume they are sold at a lower price. you can see the break down here.

2 Likes

The purple! It felt so high tech when I was 7 and my teacher let me crank the handle.

1 Like

weā€™d love to have you! shoot an email to harlequincreature@gmail.com if youā€™d like to be on our michigan email list, and receive invitations to future bees.

1 Like

youā€™re onto us! samizdat literature is a major influence here.

1 Like

Thatā€™s so Ann Arbor.

And when were you seven?

If you assume that carbon paper is a mechanism of perfect reproduction.

1 Like

i guess they are too good for cuneiformā€¦
snobsā€¦

1 Like

Is there a standard Cuneiform rendering of English?

About 1980.

Maybe it wasnā€™t all that high-tech for 1980, but it impressed me. I donā€™t know whether it had any effect on my ending up in the printing industry.

I would think many people would take one look at the title and instantly assume it is some sort of new series of romance novels for furries.