Harpo Marx on Spike Jones

[Permalink]

I went to a Halloween party as Harpo, not sure anyone would even know who I was. I stayed in character all night and it was a huge hit with the ladies.

3 Likes

Kudos to the dancer at about 22:00 for figuring out time travel and bringing breakdancing back to the Fifties.

1 Like

My kind of Marxism.

4 Likes

There is something wonderfully sinister about Spike Jonesā€™ intense, gum chewing masculinity. He would have made a great Joker.

3 Likes

Its the big hornā€¦ chicks dig a big hornā€¦

1 Like

The reason the Marx brothers movies worked so well was that their routines were finely honed in Vaudeville before live audiences. Note how the films are structured like a vaudeville show with a series of sketches and musical numbers showcasing their musical talents, including the 4th brother Zeppo singing romantic songs.

ā€œHarpo Speaksā€ is his autobiography. Harpo also took an interest in oil painting and hired lots of nude models who he said were very knowledgable about painting and told him what he was doing wrong. Harpo said that if he was negotiating a legal agreement, he would invite the other party over, and Harpo would have a nude model lounging about to throw them off their game.

4 Likes

Alan Sherman (the Weird Al Yankovic of his generation) had Harpo Marx as a neighbor. I remember reading an article Sherman wrote about their friendship for Readerā€™s Digest, and how he talked Harpo into a last public performance, at a benefit for a local school. After a wordless, wonderful performance by Harpo, Sherman came on stage to announce that it had been Harpoā€™s final appearance and broke down in tears. Harpo came back on stage, gently moved Sherman aside, and said ā€œAs I started to say, before being interrupted sixty years agoā€¦ā€ There followed another twenty minutes where the audience got to see Harpo was as brilliant a vocal comic as a silent one. I wish Iā€™d been there.

3 Likes

They would ad lib a lot in their live shows - so much that hardly two shows were ever the same. These guys were really, really good.

There was a 5th brother, Gummo, but he didnā€™t went into show business.

Wikipedia says they were legends at improvisation on stage, and they would do variations on the same act dozens of time on stage to find out what jokes worked and what didnā€™t, because even they couldnā€™t predict what got the biggest laughs. By the time they got to doing a film version, those acts were razor sharp.

Compare that to the usual cinematic turd sandwich from former SNL members who think they can improvise during filming - even the Marx Brothers didnā€™t try that! Thatā€™s why comedians often do better in animated movies that have actual scripts. Also ā€œThe Jerkā€ spent a looong time in development with top notch writers who fleshed out Steve Martinā€™s basic script.

2 Likes

Was the gum chewing part of Spike Jonesā€™s shtick? Obviously heā€™s chewing in the cartoon in the opening credits.

1 Like

He appears to be masticating throughout that performance.

Iā€™d not seen him in action before and was rather taken by his air of manic danger.

1 Like

Q: Whatā€™s the difference between life and a SNL sketch?
A: Life doesnā€™t go on forever.

I read ā€˜Hello, I must be goingā€™ a while ago but I can still remember bits of it, it was really enjoyable and amazing.

Yeah, Marx Bros film festival on boxing day, Iā€™d say.

1 Like

I enjoyed reading this here a few years ago:

http://www.harpomarx.net/gookie.html

Harpo? pure awesomeness. kind, brilliant, funny, animal lover, musician, kid adopter, just? all around? aweseome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiatjttPdwE

I canā€™t remember where I heard this, but thereā€™s a story that explains Harpoā€™s silence. The Marx Brothersā€™ first manager cheated them out of most of their earnings, and Harpo said to him, ā€œI hope you go down in flames!ā€ The next day the managerā€™s house burned down. The other brothers decided it would be a good thing if Harpo didnā€™t talk anymore.

That was my favorite Harpo story until I read yours.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.