Harriet Tubman statue replaces one of slaver in Newark, New Jersey

Originally published at: Harriet Tubman statue replaces one of slaver in Newark, New Jersey | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Cheers!

Celebrate The Bachelor GIF

6 Likes

Now do the $20!!!

9 Likes

The Tubman monument isn’t really a statue. As the article describes, it’s a monument. Here’s a photo showing a wider view:

That woman did so many amazing things in her life (much more than the heroic work on the underground railroad that she’s known for) that she really needs all the recognition we can muster. More big-budget movies or mini-series, please! And like @Mindysan33 says, we need to get her on the damn $20!

4 Likes

I know it won’t be this version, but it really SHOULD be this version…

9 Likes

I like that version but I’d also be ok with releasing several versions simultaneously: the underground railroad conductor, the Civil War Union spy, and the suffragette.

Why should there be so many types of quarters that nobody cares about and only one version of the Tubman $20?

4 Likes

A man who notably never once stepped foot in New Jersey, nor any other place that is now part of the United States. So stupid that he was ever adopted as an American hero in the first place.

3 Likes

Italian Americans were on the fore-front of getting Columbus day a holiday and in having him on statues everywhere… And guess where lots of Italian Americans live?

1 Like

Yes! At this point, I’d take a pile of rocks over Andrew Jackson!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.