Petition to replace every Confederate statue in West Virginia with Mothman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/18/petition-to-replace-every-conf.html

8 Likes

I’m am all for removing and replacing every confederate statues everywhere.

But… what about memorializing people who made contributions to the area, not blanket a fictional character across a region? It kinda reads to me that people singing these petitions simply don’t know any PoC in history and are resorting to… Mothman.

1 Like

Hold on, why are there any Confederate statues in West Virginia in the first place? Isn’t the whole reason there’s a West Virginia at all because they split from the rest of Virginia in order not to be in the Confederacy?

30 Likes

This should be obvious, I’m sure others have brought it up before, but if you’re going to tear down a tribute to some Confederate general, then you should put up a monument to all the deceased slaves, a la Holocaust memorials.

Logically that should satisfy the reactionaries who talk about “erasing history.” (Not that logic is ever their strong point, mind you.)

14 Likes

18 Likes

Up here on the North Shore of Massachusetts, we don’t have any confederate statues, but we are trying to replace a statue of Columbus with the Route 1 Orange Dinosaur and the petition has been taking off.

13 Likes

I’d pitch in for statues of Lemmy from Motorhead, now there’s a proper idol to venerate

5 Likes

Oh, the Route 1 dinosaur. I’d personally like to see the Hilltop Steakhouse saguaro cactus resurrected for such a purpose.

2 Likes

Instead of Mothman how about this guy?

3 Likes

I fully support and endorse this proposal.

WV can mix it up and also have some statues of Mothmonsterman while they are at it.

7 Likes

Just because I love this meme:

If they build any moth statues, they must be sure to build lämp statues as well.

11 Likes

6 Likes

10 Likes

How about from now on monuments can only be made from untreated and unpainted wood. Time, termites and the weather will put a limit on how long we “honor” someone. Yep, wood. That or paper mache.

1 Like

Honestly: what about it?

If we just don’t have a bunch of heaps of metal, looking vaguely like historical figures, installed at a number of public places, what’s the negative outcome?

Public statue installation should be about art and entertainment, full stop. Hero worship is just fucking awful.

1 Like

Disagree. The monuments we build say a lot about what values we choose to celebrate. Frankly the world could use more Harriet Tubman statues.

10 Likes

I’d prefer to tear them all down but if we have to have something in W VA seems like it should be a combination of (1) statues of John Denver and (2) ALL the cryptids from FO76 not just the Mothman. Where’s the love for the Grafton Monster?

1 Like

It’s a fact, I grabbed that ass in my younger days!

4 Likes

Uhm, West Virginia has a lot of traditional heroes and monsters that existed long before Fallout. Mothman and Braxie are “real”.

I would also like to see more statues of local heroes from the local folklore like John Henry, Chief Cornstalk, Daniel Boone, Booker T Washington, and so on.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d think they’d be putting up statues to Grant or Sherman if “heritage” was the aim. Except, all of these heritage statues went up just about when Jim Crow was being maneuvered into operation…

6 Likes