Harris skyrockets 20 points ahead of Trump with young voters: "Key to victory"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/25/harris-skyrockets-20-points-ahead-of-trump-with-young-voters-key-to-victory.html

18 Likes

The kids (for a very broad definition of “kids”) are all right.

25 Likes

It’s the parents and grandparents we gotta worry about (says one of the parents)

16 Likes

If we could just on a landslide for Democrats, we can leave that guy to the courts.

12 Likes

There’s that old quote (falsely attributed to Winston Churchill):
“If you’re under 30 and not a liberal, you don’t have a heart.”

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s the whole relevant portion of the quote. :wink:

13 Likes

Well, I’m over 30 by a wide margin, and I like to think I still have a heart. I know I’m not alone, so that’s where the second part of the quote breaks down.

It was always a cynical slur by some smug neoliberal anyway.

19 Likes

Same and same.

13 Likes

This probably means more young people who don’t usually vote will make the effort this time. The message about this election being about the future instead of the past will be especially poignant.

The GOP knows that young people hurt them in general. They’ll be making a full-on push to disenfranchise college students, especially those in college towns in GOP-run states.

20 Likes

Fuck that ageism, generational divisive bullshit. I’m over 30 and will never vote for the “law and order” party. On the other hand, we have all these young “dead-weasel hairdo convicted felon” followers. It boggles the mind how is that possible. There should be only a single distinction, the fascists and everyone else. The fascists will come for all, the age not a decisive factor here.

12 Likes

A camo conservative.

6 Likes

I don’t know why people attributed that quote to Churchill.

He was a conservative in his 20s, and a liberal in his 30s and 40s when he introduced government welfare.

13 Likes

Especially because the original flavour fascists had a lot of youth support. Or at least presented themselves as such in their quest for a renewal of the national body.

7 Likes

I had heard something like that attributed to DeGaul, but couldn’t find it, so that is probably wrong as well.

6 Likes

To test that, I tried looking for that phrase in French, and found it… attributed to George Bernard Shaw:

Celui qui n’est pas communiste à vingt ans n’a pas de coeur; celui qui l’est encore à quarante ans n’a pas de tête.

(Whoever is not a communist at twenty does not have a heart; whoever is still one at forty does not have a head.)

https://citations.ouest-france.fr/citation-george-bernard-shaw/celui-communiste-vingt-ans-coeur-107699.html

7 Likes

I’ve seen something similar attributed to Clemenceau, too.

3 Likes

This website has a lot of references regarding the origins of that quote. Shaw said something similar in 1933 but there were many similar, verifiable variations of that quote going much further back, including something in a French history book that quoted a public letter from 1872, and that letter itself said it was quoting someone else. Quite the rabbit hole.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/24/heart-head/?amp=1

5 Likes

“A conservative is a liberal who’s been mugged; a liberal is a conservative who’s been falsely arrested.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.