Harsh but funny way to get your neighbors to turn down their music

I’m listening to Das Rheingold right now (thanks, Met, for the free streams, and @KathyPartdeux for the link!) and since I’m here by myself it wasn’t a tough decision to opt for the headphones. I’m afraid that, under other circumstances, I’d have been a bad neighbor. Wagner was the original heavy metal, best played loud.

(BTW, for those who don’t know opera, this one is a crossover story between the LOTR universe and the Marvel universe.)

4 Likes

Most of my friends still smoke pot.
Lots and lots of pot.

1 Like

Yeah, has the weed changed since 30 years ago? Because now it reminds me of a vat full of boiled cabbage that a skunk sprayed. (More likely, the me has changed since 30 years ago.)

3 Likes

Maybe they could be persuaded to vape it, not smoke it? Less smell.

2 Likes

See also: The Ghost of Mary Pickford
(Still can’t find my copy of that)

They’ve been working on it like it’s the cure for cancer or something. No more stems and twigs like when we were kids…

4 Likes

Yeah - it smells skunky for me. Blech.

1 Like

Funny story but last summer I met up with a bunch of high school buddies - one of whom grows his own plants. He takes it pretty seriously and has always been a big pothead.

I took 2 hits off one of his joints and, I kid you not, felt the after effects for the next 3 days!!

So yeah, it’s changed pretty drastically in 30 years.

4 Likes

Clever or not, it is definitely not funny.

This is aggression – an angry act.

A small angry act, but angry. Not playful, not amusing. Angry.

Let’s not pretend this okay behavior.

It is feuding behavior.

1 Like

Did you do any real damage?

Might you have broken or delayed some life-saving emergency equipment, perhaps his mother’s oxygen condensor?

Yes, you might have.

We cannot know, but humanity – my sense of humanity, anyway – requires us to assume that yes, you might have caused all kinds of harm.

Making matters worse, you celebrate this malicious act. This is incitement to violence.

1 Like

I just want to highly directional microphone and an amplified highly directional speaker so I can beam back their own noise in a way that will be annoying to them, perhaps with some sort of time delay, distortion or changing of frequency.

3 Likes

5 Likes

The Chinese version is more straight forward.

4 Likes

Back in the mid 80s a “neighbor” had its crap music up far too loud for everyone on our block. My goth ass dragged my speakers as close to the windows as poss, and blasted Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (performed by E Power Biggs, on th’ pipe organ). I could have selected A Skateboard Party by The Dead Kennedys, mind.

It soon relented, and never caused another loudness problem.

3 Likes

If they don’t know it’s you… you can’t be the ONLY person annoyed by them?

2 Likes

Ugh, I remember Biggs; he had the ability to take even the sprightliest ditty, and turn it into a death march. Probably perfect for a goth.

4 Likes

That’s the problem with much of the toxic masculinity here. So many people have lived their lives accustomed to it, they just shrug it off instead of trying to make positive change.
I mean, the misogyny is so bad that women have to protest femicide. Too much bad behavior is written off (or even defended) as “tradition”.

4 Likes

Ugh… that’s depressing.

2 Likes

When we have this problem, it’s always a substance abuser and cops may or may not carry them off to rehab. It seldom occurs, though.

I couldn’t find a solution for car horns that play Dixie, or for a crazy who used to do laps at a local flea market in an aged Suburban, playing Daddy Yankee’s Gasolina. I do like reggaeton, but not at 180 decibels while trying to negotiate a purchase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.