Harvey Weinstein catches a lucky break: his 2020 rape conviction was overturned

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/harvey-weinstein-catches-a-lucky-break-his-2020-rape-conviction-was-overturned.html

11 Likes

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

(@ moderators: feel free to move comments to BB post on this subject)

9 Likes

What the hell??

How is corroborating testimony about past actions that bolsters the credibility of the “complainants”, even actions that which could not themselves lead to criminal charges due to the statute of limitations or whatever, not be relevant and acceptable?

11 Likes

White men getting protected by the system that they built to protect them yet again. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

but the feminists have gone too far no man is saaaafe!!!

10 Likes

Angry United States GIF by ABC Network

9 Likes

The law is an ass, but some good news anyway. With luck, this is a life sentence.

18 Likes

He was still convicted in California and has to serve a 16 year sentence there.
I owe @teknocholer a coke.

Soccer Yes GIF by Coca-Cola

7 Likes

Or how about one of these instead,

The man knew he was spending the rest of his life in jail and still spent the money on overturning the case!

6 Likes

I am going to steal that!

2 Likes

From the “Wacky Packages” sticker series. I know i have the Spite one stuck somewhere, probably on the odd side of a bookcase downstairs.

3 Likes

I am not familiar enough with the specifics of Weinstein’s trial to have an opinion about whether this rule is/was being applied correctly, but the answer to your question in general comes from the NY rules of evidence, about what is known as “propensity evidence,” with some helpful explanation here:
https://haubadvocacy.blogs.pace.edu/2023/01/24/new-yorks-prior-bad-acts-character-evidence/

4 Likes

this sucks but you really do want it to be this way. If you’re accused of doing a thing, you don’t want the prosecution to bring in other people, who’s statements aren’t otherwise in evidence to count against you. You want the prosecution to have to prove what happened, and you want to be able to have arbitrary statements read against you. Thankfully this has nothing at all to do with what he actually did and doesn’t in any way shape or form diminish it. It seems to be a prosecutor who took a gamble that didn’t pay off and now has terrible implications for the victims.

This sucks. It especially sucks because it probably won’t be up to those same victims to decide if they want to endure another trial or just let this monster rot for what is likely a good portion of the rest of his life (if not the rest of his life) in prison on the other charge or not, instead the public is going to demand a retrial and the DA will be all but required to carry it out.

The system put the victims through unbelievable scrutiny and pain once already. The public’s hunger for “Justice” is now likely to do so again, regardless of whether or not that’s what the victims would wish for.

6 Likes

That arsehole certainly looked fit as a fiddle leaving court, as opposed to when he was first charged…

Funny that. :thinking:

4 Likes

I thought all business with Gothmog had been firmly settled!

Elijah Wood Says LOTR Orc Was Modeled on Harvey Weinstein (thecut.com)

3 Likes

Bill Griffith, of Zippy the Pinhead fame, was one of the original Wacky Packs artists tophat-cool

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.