Harvey Weinstein sentenced to 23 years in prison for rape and sexual assault

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/11/harvey-weinstein-sentenced-to.html

7 Likes

Harvey, go away for like 23 years.

6 Likes

I hope he really is as sick as he claims. He won’t draw another free breath, and he won’t hurt anyone else…

2 Likes

His lawyer claims a 23 year sentence for multiple rapes and sexual assault is ‘obscene and obnoxious’. What does she think is a suitable conviction for the offences he committed?

Anyway the person most annoyed about this is a convicted rapist so I’m less inclined to be concerned about his opinions.

Hope he doesn’t do an Ernest Saunders when in prison…

12 Likes

Oof, that’s a hell of a matzo ball. (deserved, of course)

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/weinstein-sentencing-ltr-3.9.20-wm.pdf

Based on the foregoing, Mr. Weinstein, through counsel, respectfully requests that the Court sentence him to a term of imprisonment of five years.

1 Like

Weinstein’s lawyer, who previously said she was never sexually assaulted “because I would never put myself in that position,” calls her client’s 23-year prison sentence “obnoxious” and “obscene.”

I don’t get it, why do people hate lawyers so much when they make such cogent, well-thought-out public statements?

10 Likes

As I noted in another thread, that’s only three months for every woman who broke her silence to come forward about what he did to them. He got off easy.

20 Likes

When I read headlines like this, my mind always adds a tagline:

“Harvey Weinstein sentenced to 23 years in prison for rape and sexual assault.
Victims remain traumatized.”

23 years is really good news, and will hopefully end with his passing behind bars, but no sentence can ever seem like it will be enough.

5 Likes

Well, Harvey’s 67 years old. Most likely, he’ll die a non-free man.

On another note, this is a huge and high profile defeat for his notoriously anti- #MeToo lawyer.

8 Likes

23 YEARS

6 Likes

“obscene and obnoxious”?

I think that describes his actions that got him here, Ms. Rotunno.

4 Likes

“Got off” easy? Unintentional pun?

Weinstein complained to the judge, “I can’t do 23 years in prison. I’ll die in there!”

The judge says, “Well, do as many as you can.”

.gif

22 Likes

4 Likes

i was really hoping for at least a year per woman who came forward, personally.

5 Likes

That would be nice, but I don’t think most prisons are equipped with the kinds of specialized medical equipment it would take to keep someone alive to age 157.

9 Likes

I don’t like living in a world where shadenfreude is the only source of joy, but here we are so I’ll take it. Hurray for good news! :smile:

4 Likes

Good. You will not be missed.

He’s still pending a trial in California so there’s that, but regardless i’m glad that he was given an actual sentence and not a slap on the wrist like we so often have come to expect.

4 Likes