Harvey Weinstein's "life ruined", his lawyer complains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/18/harvey-weinsteins-life-rui.html

6 Likes

62 Likes

Oh the irony…

8 Likes

I’d suggest we keep a list of these “allies” of predators, but of course they would make the keepers of the list into the bad guys.

15 Likes

Until #MeToo, the name “Harvey Weinstein” meant almost nothing to me. Now, though, seeing his name in the opening credits of a favorite movie makes me feel rather aghast.

He made his bed, now he gets to sleep in it. I have zero sympathy.

36 Likes

He ruined his life all by himself. No sympathy.

30 Likes

I hope those legal fees and billable hours are worth making yourself look like a fool in public, Ms. Rotunno.

23 Likes

Good

30 Likes

Imagine the feats of mental gymnastics one must perform to employ this argument for a fabulously wealthy white man, while other, non-rich, non-white men go to jail for 36 years (which is, quite literally, stealing somebody’s life from them) for stealing $50.

41 Likes

Of all the people to be, why would he want to choose that asshole?

53 Likes

As maddening as the “life ruined” concept is, I think this is even worse…

“No matter what happens to Harvey Weinstein, he will pay the biggest price there is"

This lawyer’s not just saying his life is “ruined”. She’s saying he’s paying a bigger “price” than any person that was sexual assaulted and any of the people that had their career ended by industry boycotts he led.

I don’t think there’s an anger gif that’s angry enough.

43 Likes

Go fuck yourself, Harvey. If you’d been doing that instead of trying to force other people to fuck you, your life wouldn’t be “ruined”, now would it?

21 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

“his whole life has been ruined”

If there were ever a case for criminalizing the passive voice…

23 Likes

Since the original post referenced the non-existence of this story I might as well reply to the now-no-longer-a-post with a link to help others who may have missed it:

9 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

Beat me to it!

2 Likes

giphy-2

17 Likes

Watched the movie Wind River, which was inspired by the real tragedy of violence against indigenous women, and shocked to see the Weinstein name associated with it (as distributor). According to Wikipedia they’ve cut ties and it’s now distributed through lionsgate, so that’s good at least.

10 Likes

I will state the obvious: unless he ends up in prison, or bankrupt and in the gutter then his life is not ruined. He can retire comfortably in some remote estate and live out his life in quiet but luxurious ignominy.

17 Likes