Whomp whomp…

5 Likes

36 Likes

Cool. I always enjoy a happy ending.

4 Likes

12 Likes

So sad! Here, I’ll play a sad song.

16 Likes

Does anyone else read this as an epic failure of both empathy and imagination? Narcissism?

10 Likes

Three strikes law are stupid and disproportionate in themselves, but I’m wary of any article that intermixes that calls a robbery stealing, especially when the verdict was “first degree robbery”.

Edit: apparently no one was injured, so a weapon must’ve been involved. Since he’s black, this might’ve been a pencil, I guess, in the eyes of the jury.

Edit 2: robbery with brandished knife. Looks like a deadly weapon to me.

(Still not worth even a decade in prison, of course, but Americans seem to like stuff like that)

1 Like

giphy

11 Likes

So, like… he never gets to rape anyone again?

15 Likes

Shut up and take the blue pill, Harvey. /s

How a man with more money and privilege than most anybody in the US has never understood that “ruined” for most people is a negative outcome rather than a reset to zero, really irks me.

15 Likes

Seriously, they are always hiring for the night shift at the 7/11. Weinstein’s got options.

19 Likes

and this is a problem because…why, exactly?

3 Likes

Or pull a Polanski and flee the country.

That’s what happens when you do crimes.

Pro tip: Don’t do crimes.

14 Likes

Oh, boo-rapey-hoo.

Go. To. Jail.

8 Likes

here’s a rundown of alabama sentence guidelines-- first degree robbery is defined in Alabama as a Class A Felony.

Every felony offense in Alabama is punishable by at least one year and one day in a state prison. Depending on the circumstances of the crime and its severity level, a felony conviction can result in a wide range of sentences.

• Class A. No less than 10 years and no more than life or 99 years.
  • Class B. No less than two years and no more than 20 years.
  • Class C. No less than one year and one day and no more than 10 years.

So even without the “habitual offender” law, he would have been punished harshly.

Are the guidelines appropriate? Possibly not. Here’s the California law on robbery.

California robbery under Penal Code 211 PC carries felony penalties. The precise consequences of a robbery conviction depend on whether you commit robbery of the first degree or of the second degree.3
A California robbery is considered robbery of the first degree if it is a
robbery of any driver or passenger on a bus, taxi, streetcar, subway, cable car, etc.,
robbery that takes place in an inhabited structure, or
robbery of any person who has just used an ATM and is still in the vicinity of the ATM.4
First-degree robbery leads to a California state prison sentence of between three (3) and nine (9) years.5

2 Likes

When Mr. Weinstein makes his funeral arrangements, he would be well-advised to arrange for an unmarked grave.

2 Likes

That’s outrageously low, but isn’t that exactly what an attorney’s job is about? Painting you in the most sympathetic light imaginable?

27 Likes

A lawyer’s job is to make the best possible arguments as strongly as possible for their client.

We should all be quite pleased that this is the best defence that they can come up with.

13 Likes