Harvey Weinstein's "life ruined", his lawyer complains

Your question is a segue into my question… who the hell is the attorney appealing to? If he wants to plea to empathic people, he just drew out the exact opposite reaction.
My disgust isn’t just a paid defense attorney doing their job, it is the complete misread of the entire situation. Only fellow sociopaths would be moved by weinstein’s “plight”, but by default they are incapable of giving a shit.

6 Likes

I hope that he only gets to be Harvey Weinstein, that we don’t forget that’s who he is, and that his name and reputation follows him.

10 Likes
3 Likes

These are public statements by the lawyer, made on TV, and meant to sway public opinion. They weren’t made in court.

Evaluating those public statements has nothing to do with thinking he shouldn’t have a lawyer defend him.

A lawyer isn’t supposed to say things that are untrue, and claiming he will pay “the biggest price there is”, even if found guilty or not of the crimes, isn’t magically true just because a lawyer says it. A lawyer can’t ethically go on TV and say “Shoplifting is worse than mass murder”, just because they’re defending a client.

8 Likes

Is that a genuine Schulz?

2 Likes

5 Likes

broadchurch-angry-as-me

13 Likes
5 Likes

Too bad he has only one.ruined life of his own to make up for the lives of others that he’s ruined.

14 Likes

3 Likes

I had a similar reaction to that line, but less eloquent than yours.

“He’s dead? Oh, darn.”/s

10 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

4 Likes

You’re super kind.

It’s just a phrase that, by definition, rates his work, life, achievements, time, possible lost opportunities, all of it, as having more value than any of the other people involved. Ugh!

3 Likes

Please! Won’t someone think of the rapists?!

6 Likes

No, the handwriting isn’t right. But it’s still fun.

2 Likes

Like when you want to flip the bird so hard that you actually break both your middle fingers, only the target of your opprobrium gets to feel the pain?

1 Like

Rape apologists, obviously. There certainly aren’t any shortage of them in positions of power these days.

11 Likes

…his whole life has been ruined, toppled, damaged … we can walk out of that courtroom with a ‘not guilty’ and walk him out onto those courtroom steps, and he never gets to be Harvey Weinstein ever again.

Is the implication here that his life is “ruined” because he will no longer have the power to coerce some of the most powerful women in showbiz into unwanted sexual contact?

Because that’s the thing that’s been most decisively and completely taken from him. That was the entire meaning and purpose of his life, was it?

Why is his lawyer making these appeals to the court of public opinion, anyway? If her mission is to rehab his image so that he stands a chance of working on (something) again, then that project also undermines the very point she’s making here, does it not?

10 Likes

“And whether it’s by his own doing or others, that’s the fact. And the fact is that no matter what we do ― and we can walk out of that courtroom with a ‘not guilty’ and walk him out onto those courtroom steps, and he never gets to be Harvey Weinstein ever again.”

It’s by his own doing. Too bad, so sad. Just like other people who ruin their lives by doing bad things, take some responsibility.

Hell, he’s rich enough if he manages to slime his way out of prison, he could just retire and do water colors the rest of his life - have a gay old time many of us would kill for.

If he doesn’t have any friends after that, then maybe have some serious self reflection and therapy to realize what a horrible piece of shit hes been for years. I highly doubt he would ever do the work to change, but if he really cares about that, then its on him to do it.

5 Likes

Thread.

Just another reason why victims don’t report.

13 Likes