Has a tech entrepreneur come up with a product to replace our meals?

I used to think a pelleted diet for humans would be convenient and when I saw primate biscuits at a pet food store I thought “Humans are primates!” and decided to give it a try. They tasted horrible, though, and I could not manage to get one down. Frozen fruits blended with protein powder, brown rice, flax seeds, and almond meal have replaced many of my solid meals since I bought my Vitamix but I like that there is still actual produce involved. I wouldn’t do Soylent at home but I’d love it as an alternative to gas station food or Icky Mickey’s on the road.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try. I’m a lazy, lazy man. I live on Protein Shakes and High Fiber Cereal and seem to be doing ok.

It already exists. Say “Hello!” to Mazuri Monkey Crunch. It’s complete balanced nutrition for both Old and New World primates. They have other versions for pregnant and lactating primates, cinnamon and banana flavored versions, vitamin supplements and versions with built-in teeth cleaner. It’s vegetarian, keeps well and doesn’t taste any worse than unsweetened breakfast cereal.

In the future the rich will eat, the rest of us will drink.

But then they grow up.

1 Like

All primates have identical diets? I would not rely on the packaging claims. Cats and dogs and walruses are all Carnivora but they do not survive on the same food.

The majority of the ingredients is quite similar to the early versions of the this product.

Oh wow…And he was spending $470/month on food? That’s about 20 cubic feet of ramen a month. (Using Cockeyed.com’s 4" x 4.5" x 1" measurements (http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/ramen/ramen.html), and estimating $0.20-0.25).

1 Like

Yeah…swallowing is so gross, when you think about it…

Sounds like the soylent diet tends to make you cranky…eat something good, for a change…you’ll feel better.

4 Likes

I first heard about this stuff on Vice http://www.vice.com/tag/Soylent. I recall that all the ingredients were GMO which would be a deal breaker for me. The form you ingest food into your body matters more than some people think. To properly absorb or benefit from some vitamins and minerals they need fats and other elements.

Sounds like you subscribe to the theory of internet discussion that if you have nothing smart to say, say something ad hominem and stupid. Thanks for trying to contribute, but maybe driving trollies YouTube videos might be a little closer to your intellectual weight class.

Ha, the poor Rindan just favours the stuff & thinks criticism+humour is an attack because of it maybe.

It’s such an old concept, my dad sold “meal-replacement” powders in tablet or pouch formats in the 70’s. Back then the health food stores were few & far between & there weren’t any body-building supplement stores where all these products seem to eventually end up regardless of merit. So it was sold in wacky pyramid schemes by traveling salespeople who were primarily men trying to get rich quick selling both the product & the right to sell the product. My poor dad, he always thought the newest thing was the best thing, not that it was new then, just new to him.

Hell when I was young & super-athletic I supplemented my whole food diet with up to 3-4 packets of MetRX a day mixed with water & juice & a bit of bread & an occasional PowerBar. But I was consuming 4000+ calories easily & more on the weekend. Anyone riding a desk that couldn’t run 10k a day & put in an hour at the gym & maybe 1000 meters in the pool would bloat up like a festering whale on a Newfoundland beach on my diet at that time.

IMO so far Soylent is a marketing scam being carried by people who haven’t yet had any Soylent but make their own with varied recipes approximating what Soylent might be if it ever ships (This week they say!).

It isn’t new, except for being kickstarted & marketed via cult-concept. It’s design is the very definition of Kludge & many points in its design highlight the designers ineptitude with regard to nutrition, diet, scientific process & any ability to deliver. But other people are involved now & other money is involved now so maybe they will ship & it’ll be the supplement du jour for a while thanks to it’s kitschy name.

I think I was paying about $2 a packet for the MetRX back then, but then again it had half the calories of what may eventually be a serving of Soylent & I don’t think there was a vegan version, which Soylent claims to have. Not that I’m vegan, just that it’s nice to offer a vegan version.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, one needs to go through a frequent exchange program.
I figure that if Joan Rivers can go in every few years to get tightened-up, then I can go in every few years for a toddler exchange. At first I was thinking “Bonsai Toddler”, but they start producing less of the protein that I need as they get older, so an exchange program seems to be the easiest option.

everyone has to start somewhere.

And eventually, of course, you will be able to trade up for a customized toddler that matches your fashion choices, or a more utilitarian toddler for the budget conscious…

I was just wondering what happens to the ones that have been exchanged out, but then I remembered that this is a thread about Soylent, and it all made sense.

3 Likes

What do you mean, ‘our’. I’m having pheasant, thank you very much.

eat the rich

in the future
we shall opine
those who did dine
on grass fed bovine
are tastier for sure

1 Like

Are you sure that’s a good plan?

1 Like

As the fad for Soylent demonstrates, orthorexia or disordered, overly precise eating, is unfortunately more common than many people think. I work with hospitalised eating-disordered patients and for many of them, their conscious path to requiring intervention to stave off death began with some quiet, tiny fixed, false belief: a delusion that this food or that food or sometimes all food either lacked some quality, or was overly suffused with it, and that by restricting or enhancing or ritualising their consumption of it, they could oppose the wrongness. Unfortunately, because we live in a culture of massively differentiated industralised food production and marketing, there’s always some flim flam artist out there ready to make some money by selling them what they think they need.

7 Likes