Hasan Minhaj tears Twitter and its users a new one, then deletes his account

Originally published at: Hasan Minhaj tears Twitter and its users a new one, then deletes his account | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I checked after watching that and it looks like his account is really deleted.

6 Likes

“Twitter has been terrible for years”

Abso-f***ing-lutely. Just leave failed online social interaction-for-profit experiments, already.

11 Likes

I switched to Mastodon in Nov when he announced he as unblocking 45. It’s only gotten worse. I feel for those (writers, especially) who’ve wedded their business model to that platform.

14 Likes

I loved when Minhaj pointed out how many post some celebs have posted over the years. :astonished:

7 Likes

The sooner more people follow Minaj’s example and leave, the better. Musk has turned the site into a debt-weighted cesspool that needs to be gone.

7 Likes

I still have an acct, but haven’t looked at that shit pit of a site in some time. It’s been a cesspool for a long time. Need to delete for good.

6 Likes

I doubt Twitter can survive much longer. They’ve lost 80% of their staff and the platform keeps breaking, Most of their revenue from advertising evaporated pretty soon after Musk took over. It never made any money in the first place. They’ve stopped paying the rent on their offices. It won’t be long before they can’t pay the rent on the servers.

6 Likes

Bit of irony here - Hasan Minhaj has been asking people to pronounce his name correctly for years, and it’s spelled incorrectly in the title.

I believe the pronunciation is supposed to be ha-sin min-haj. (Not ‘mi-naj’ like Nicki Minaj.) Sadly Jon Stewart pronounced it incorrectly for years. He says it here:

5 Likes

Look, everybody. Someone said a few words and clicked a button as a protest. What a hero.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Someone with an audience reach on cable and YouTube of 10-million+ (often through re-posts on sites like BB). He’s not a hero but if enough of them follow his lead and click the same button it will lose Twitter a significant amount of accounts.

9 Likes

Yep.
Better to say a few words and click a button (especially if you have a large following) than to say nothing, do nothing, and grant tacit approval through inaction. :woman_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

It’s apparently too difficult for some to accomplish.

7 Likes

I just appreciate the Truman Show callback

I’ve still got mine sitting there for when someone I actually care about posts something (there are still plenty of worthwhile scholars and activists that I’d prefer not to ignore). Still, I’ve migrated almost entirely to Mastodon for any of my regular reading. Sometimes there are links out to relevant stuff on Twitter, but that’s about all the mileage I get out of it.

It is deeply silly to take Twitter attention as at all important; there are useful people there, that’s it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.