Hasbro killed its own awesome auto-extending Star Wars light saber toy, but you can get it off-brand

Originally published at: Hasbro killed its own auto-extending Star Wars light saber toy

4 Likes

I believe that was a different design for a self–extending lightsaber; the mechanism for that one was based on the same idea as a retractable measuring tape. It looked a lot closer to the on-screen lightsabers than this version but it would be way too expensive and delicate to sell as a child’s toy.

7 Likes

Thanks, updated.

1 Like

I am so glad the light saber extending mechanism was invented by Yair Shilo, who has one of the best Star Wars names I’ve seen in the real world.

11 Likes

I remember my “your star wars name in 1990s chain emails” thing being “Besra Jolon” and I’m wondering at how that worked. Besra is the first syllable of my last name and ra are my initials. But I have no idea now what the hell “Jolon” is from.

UPDATE: first syllable of mother’s maiden name and town of birth.

Haha, social engineering those Security Questions used to be so, so easy.

8 Likes

I like to think that George Lucas sat around charting out each characters’ answers to their security verification questions in just this fashion before moving onto developing their screen names.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ, I swear. Hasbro can’t find its ass with both hands some days. :confused:

1 Like

This is why I know my Star Wars name created by that method, but can’t share it anywhere outside local friends and family.

2 Likes

Star Wars Droid name = [current street name] +[last 4 digits of SSN]

GO!

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t know this was a thing I needed until after Hasbro killed it.

Power Saber it is! Gotta start bringing leftovers for lunch to save up for one.

1 Like

I just want a small one that can cut butter or maybe sandwiches. I don’t need some big huge sword, that just seems too dangerous.

like this size:

light saber fighting GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.