Hate crimes spike after Brexit

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/13/hate-crimes-spike-after-brexit.html

It’s like I always say, don’t encourage the bastards or they’ll just keep being bastards.

10 Likes

I wonder how the US is going to look in November.

11 Likes

Well, at least we know what the activation word was for these fucking sleeper cells.

9 Likes

Does this “spike” not require further context? What if crime rates in general remained constant, and more crimes came to be regarded as “hate crimes” in the harsh light of Brexit? Or if hate crimes are “believed to be underreported”, what if this “spike” is just an increase in the reporting of hate crimes?

1 Like

It’s the same sort of hate crimes that were being reported before, but more (e.g. even things like homophobic attacks), not new classes of hate crimes. There’s no reason why suddenly there would be a spike in reporting, and we’re also talking about some crimes sufficiently serious that they would have been recorded previously (e.g. murder). We also have surveys that indicate that non-reported incidents (e.g. hate speech directed at individuals) have also increased to an alarming degree. So… yeah, it’s a spike in crimes, not reporting.

6 Likes

[quote=“Jorpho, post:5, topic:87357, full:true”]
Does this “spike” not require further context? What if crime rates in general remained constant, and more crimes came to be regarded as “hate crimes” in the harsh light of Brexit? Or if hate crimes are “believed to be underreported”, what if this “spike” is just an increase in the reporting of hate crimes?
[/quote] My question would not be the above, but rather, what did the rate look like the previous year? Perhaps it goes up during the summer?

1 Like

I think you’re looking for the climate change thread…

4 Likes

Regardless of who wins:

We can thank the Trumpalumpas for that.

1 Like

The data is here

Yes, there is usually a spike in July (possibly connected with school holidays? The day to day figures seem to back this up), but not by as much as this year.

8 Likes

Thank you for satisfying my skepticism. Interestingly, it looks like the hate crimes has been increasing from year to year, even if they spiked more after the Brexit vote.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.