Have We Reached Peak WTAF?

9 Likes

Weighing Options GIF

17 Likes

Iā€™m tempted to say ā€˜yesā€™; but the temptation is tempered both by the knowledge that the universeā€™s capacity for WTF vastly exceeds my imagination; and the fact that the competing approach to beating Hamptons traffic is just to get in a helicopter and let the poors enjoy the noise and pollution.

Given the option; Iā€™d vastly prefer the wealthy embracing lightweight urinary transhumanism to having them just shuttled around in comfort over the insects below to help reinforce their sense that public goods are things you can ignore without consequence if youā€™ve got the cash and donā€™t mind imposing externalities on people who donā€™t matter.

12 Likes

I donā€™t know if that is peak, but it sure as hell has got to be past the foothills! Wow, yeah, thatā€™s out there.

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

17 Likes

That last part is absolutely true. Reliable infrastructure? What a plebian idea!

2 Likes

ā€œWith the pandemic, most of New York just moved out to their Hamptons house,ā€

-someone from the article you provided who clearly has a strong grip on how the other half 95%+ lives; and definitely shouldnā€™t be allowed to exempt himself from traffic

7 Likes

No problem.

7 Likes

I grew up pretty broke and through a combination of 97% luck, 2% being in the right place at the right time, and 1% moderate effort, I have managed to arrive at 50 moderately successful with almost no debt. I will never forget what it felt like to grow up like that and now try to help out people who are hurting.

It enrages me when people who were born with a platinum spoon in their mouth say things like that.

Another one Iā€™ve heard: ā€œBeing poor is a choice!ā€ GTFOH with that shit. Anyone who has been poor would never choose to stay that way if the right opportunities were provided.

/rant off

18 Likes

Thatā€™s some Dyson-level thinking right there.

3 Likes

IDK real rich New Yorkers helicopter out to the Hamptons. Several minutes at best. Holding is easy.

Or just let loose over the traffic.

1 Like

Apropos of just taking a helicopter; is ā€œUnmatched Baggage Capacity (Even Golf Clubs)ā€ not a magnificently degenerate parenthetical?

4 Likes

9 Likes

Could you be more more specific?

4 Likes

*points at the last few years.

Take your pick.

13 Likes

I donā€™t believe in karma but I wholeheartedly believe in the Law of Unintended Consequences.

I look forward to lĢ¶eĢ¶aĢ¶rĢ¶nĢ¶iĢ¶nĢ¶gĢ¶ schadenfreuding the unexpected side-effects of frivolous bladder botox.

2 Likes

The doctor himself can relate. ā€œI canā€™t tell you how many arguments I personally get into ā€” Iā€™ve lost three friends because Iā€™m the driver and refuse to stop for them,ā€ said Shusterman. ā€œThereā€™s just no place to stop.ā€

Sounds like he must be fun at parties.

3 Likes

Point Agree GIF by Ford

3 Likes

Band Name!!

8 Likes

It sounds like itā€™s mostly men, dealing with enlarged prostates:

Shusterman said about half of men between age 50 and 60 have an enlarged prostate, which causes more frequent and urgent trips to the bathroom

My guess is that he is (one of) the only doctors offering the procedure. If he goes from 4 patients to 6 in a year, thatā€™s a 50% increase. I doubt this is actually a ā€˜thingā€™ in medical circles.

5 Likes

Even without considering this particular instance; Christ, I hope so.

2 Likes