Have you seen "An Andalusian Dog?"

Looks like Brian from Family Guy

Hearing this even today still gives me goosebumps.

4 Likes

slicing up eyeballs

2 Likes

¡Yes!

D’oh - you’re right, of course.

1 Like

Agreed.

See no evil, speak no evil.

wipe

4 Likes

Yes in my Film Studies class in HS 1975. We could not show it during class but we watched it after school. It was on my request because a girl I had a crush on was into Dali and said it was cool.

3 Likes

We were lucky to have the opportunity to attend the special Dali exhibition at the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid in 2013. There was a large chunk of the exhibition dedicated to his film work; not only Un Chien Andalou and Spellbound, but also his unlikely collaboration with Walt DIsney (Destino) and his TV commercials. Several of the latter are a blast, and serve to drive home the point that Dali’s greatest work of art was Dali.

3 Likes

And the unmade Marx Brothers Giraffes on Horseback Salad? I remember reading a lot about it in a book about them long, long ago

1 Like

Yes, there were pages and drawings from his original draft screenplay.

1 Like

Sounds like it would go great with Duck Soup.

2 Likes

Jesus christ put a content warning on that. Was not expecting body horror (of course, against a woman) and would NOT have watched if I had known.

4 Likes

The actress, Simone Mareuil, also had an especially dark life, aside from this film.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely out of line to have no warning. :unamused:

4 Likes

A warning would be nice.

Perhaps there are mitigating factors though, since it’s almost a hudred years old and massively famous specifically for the squicky scene.

But yeah, should have at least mentioned the fact that it’s graphic in a way you really don’t see in modern film.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.