Have you seen "An Andalusian Dog?"

Originally published at: Have you seen "An Andalusian Dog?" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

When originally publicly shown Un Chien Andalou had a soundtrack very similar to the one in the post’s video, Wagner and Argentinian tangos. The timing probably couldn’t have been exactly the same, as it involved Bunuel playing records along with the projection, but even so, it’s probably closer to the original intention than silence.

17 Likes
24 Likes

Good point. Silent movies were not silent at all.

And they used a language of sound derived from stage too. Anyway, I’m a huge Bunuel fan so thinking about his us of sound is another project.

9 Likes

Oh, that’s what he’s saying! I never knew.

5 Likes

I know that I don’t want to see it again :grimacing:

14 Likes

Someone hasn’t?

6 Likes

I have not seen your dog. But if that’s what it looks like, I don’t want it.

2 Likes

It’s my favorite film.

6 Likes

Indeed, it was that lyric that introduced me to the movie.

3 Likes

Uh, no warning at all, about that razor and eyeball?

I don’t think I’m remembering a different movie.

14 Likes

No, no, you’re remembering the right one.

I think it was my first jumpscare.

5 Likes

Luis Buñuel, the original Lucio Fulci…

1 Like

Yeah, I’d rather watch Spellbound again instead and wonder about the lost footage… :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

16 Likes

the best thing about it is that it still gets reactions. Dali and Bunuel knew what they were doing.

6 Likes

I saw part of it in a film class (not surprising) when I was 19, along with part of Man with a Movie Camera. A couple of years later I wrote a paper about both, for an English class (of all things).

Different film class, but we had to watch the key-stealing scene over and over and over. “Watch here again as Ingrid Bergman takes the key and…” Took me a while before I wanted to finish the whole film. And I didn’t watch The Graduate again for 8 or 10 years. The same professor made us watch Cop Rock

…for a grade.

They couldn’t ruin The Godfather for me if they’d tried, but they did take points off my paper because they thought I misspelled “Sollozzo” (they replaced the “zz” with a"tz," like “pitza” I suppose). Yeah I’m still bitter.

7 Likes

That’s Notorious.

5 Likes

It really is an amazing scene.

2 Likes

Not sure where to start on the Freudian puns you got going there!? :grinning: