Have you seen the Saudi prince who 'sexually abused multiple women' in a $37m LA compound? Because he's missing

Eh, true dat.

.#notallsaudis ?

3 Likes

What’s that? I hear nothing from the Saudis about this. What a surprise.

2 Likes

So do we have any evidence that he actually left the country and didn’t just move to a different residence to avoid the media?

I’m not sure the speculation of some random neighbour counts.

1 Like

Hopefully they have some internal accountability, so even though he fled the justice system in the US he is still held accountable for his actions. If I were them I’d make it clear that such actions are not acceptable and do not represent the majority of them.

Do they all have this kind of wealth to throw around?

Also, that is a lot of grandchildren, how many wives/children did he have to end up with so many grandchildren?

(I’m going to have to read more about this family, realizing I don’t really know that much about such a powerful and influential family.)

2 Likes

However, if–as assumed–he left via airport and private jet, then airport security infrastructure ought to answer for it.

Do all of them hold multiple government offices like this guy does?

1 Like

Why? There is no requirement to check passports while leaving the country and certainly not while leaving non-commercial. There is no law that says they need to check passports on the way out and “airport security” at small airfields is basically non-existent.

Pretty much. It is a monarchy after all.

1 Like

I wonder whether it would be possible to trace the business jet that whisked him out of the country…

Airport are required to check your ID, and having done so there are clear public-interest reasons for them to then check if you have any outstanding warrants. I’m not a fan of airport security theater in general, but that seems like a minimally intrusive use of the security infrastructure that is already there waiting to be used.

1 Like

Yep! Gate agents for flights I take to countries I’m not a citizen of may ask for my passport, but it is each countries immigration control that is ultimately responsible.

Speaking of which, I hate SFOs. And Heathrow’s. And… Well I hate all of them. :smile:

2 Likes

Private planes are not subject to TSA checks. The security theater is only for commercial flights.

5 Likes

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-air-faq

The air portion of The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires, with some exceptions, citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda to present a passport to enter or depart the United States when arriving by air from any part of the Western Hemisphere.

2 Likes

Then that rather undermines your “black sheep” argument, doesn’t it? A family black sheep is one thing, a corrupt government official is quite another.

2 Likes

Warrant checks are generally done (but not always, but sometimes, but kinda sorta… Here, have a sandwich, you may need it) at the arriving country.

You can also legally fly ID-less domestically if you have the constitution of an Iron elephant.

2 Likes

And you’re defending this practice? You’re okay with the idea that rich people are self-evidently innocent and shouldn’t be subject to the same suspicion and security as the rest of us?

Last time I flew to Taiwan on China air I sure didn’t.

Apparently, the Western Hemisphere is Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, South and Central America, and the Caribbean.

I guess it’s a strengthening of the law from formerly being able to travel around NA without a passport and just declaring you were a US citizen.

So it’s totally irrelevant to this entire thread :smile: , apart from the broad statements that there are no laws requiring you to have a passport to leave.

I just did some googlin’, and it appears china air and Eva–in my case–broke the law :smiley:

I won’t rat them out, Eva air is pretty nice. And it was probably just a gate agent screw up. If I had left by sea though it is totes legal.

And it only applies to us citizens, and may only apply to commercial flights.

1 Like

Defending? I was simply explaining it. I’m not entirely certain why you’d need TSA security for a private plane though. Are you afraid someone is going to hijack their own plane? Blow it up? Ram it into a building? They own the plane. Security is not going to prevent that from happening.

Besides, not everyone who owns a plane is rich. A used plane capable of reaching Mexico from LA is not much more than a mid-range car. A used sailboat capable of circumnavigating the globe is even cheaper (and doesn’t even require filing a flight path!). Leaving the country without a passport is downright easy. Living overseas without one is the hard part, but really isn’t too hard. Get in a boat, sail to Tonga, live well.

6 Likes