Having pets instead of kids "takes away our humanity," says Pope Francis

Originally published at: Having pets instead of kids "takes away our humanity," says Pope Francis | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Being judged by an old man that runs a millennia old repressive regime takes away our humanity

47 Likes

Pope Franny is so out of touch, you want humans to make babies, then make the Earth a better place to raise said babies. Why is this so f’ing hard to understand?

39 Likes

In my experience there’s only two reasons for birth rate panic:

1. Oh shit, the economy!
  2. Oh shit, people who are DIFFERENT are still having lots of babies!

I’m gonna file this one in category 2, but it could be both.

24 Likes

If you are overstocked, don’t keep ordering inventory.

17 Likes
27 Likes

How many kids has Pope Francis had?

Oh, none?

Tsk. How selfish of him :roll_eyes:.

21 Likes

I expect better of a Jesuit than this clumsy and easily de-bunked BS. Stop listening to Ratzi and up your game, Frankie.

18 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

To be fair, he does speak out on issues like social welfare and the environment quite a bit. He is wrong on issues like this which are rather patriarchal, but he is very much interested in speaking out on other issues about human welfare and dignity in general. He is a mixed bag in that regard.

Let’s not do this. It does have very deeply problematic, malthusian overtones. In places where women are actual free, this problem solves itself. That’s how you deal with “overpopulation” (which the real problem is over consumption in the global north and lack of distribution of resources globally).

39 Likes

Do you really know? Wouldn’t be the first pope to have children in secret.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t celibacy have the same effect?

11 Likes

To be fair, he also thinks transgender people are as dangerous as nuclear weapons.

11 Likes

Don’t get 'em angry.

3 Likes
15 Likes

Hey, Pope, got any kids? No? You must be selfish.

8 Likes

Yes, another shitty take that fits in with the patriarchal comment. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

Broadly speaking, this seems to be on brand. But suggesting that there’s centuries of private planning in the Vatican to out-breed all other religions is a little bit tinfoil hatty.

(Unless someone has some light reading for me here to support such a cynical viewpoint, happy to read through it)

1 Like

Fun fact: the word “nepotism” comes from the Italian for “nephew”, which was used as a euphemism for the illegitimate sons of Renaissance popes.

20 Likes

Christ, what a popehole.

16 Likes

I did not intend to give offence with my comment. I apologize.

11 Likes