Hawaiian stream that smells like beer turns out to be alcoholic

Originally published at: Hawaiian stream that smells like beer turns out to be alcoholic | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

4 Likes
7 Likes

Beat me to it - double posted.

2 Likes

If the stream in question is anything more than a trickle, that’s a truly stupendous level of industrial pollution. Even with monstrous Love Canal type incidents you’re normally talking in terms of parts per trillion at most; this stream would have to be, like, one-third beer.

4 Likes

Conservative talking point: “The EPA has done its job, rivers and lakes have been cleaned up, so the agency isn’t really necessary anymore. Industry has learned its lesson.”

6 Likes

:notes:tiiny bubbles in my stream

perhaps, but one would have to drink enough stream water to give yourself giardia or some other gut parasite before imbibing the equivalent of a 12oz Michelob Ultra :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Isn’t alcohol a kind of a poison? This indeed seems to be a problem that should be taken seriously with swift action.

That said, I could see my high school self, wondering where that stream is, and wondering if a backpacker style water filter would remove debris and other nasty contaminants but allow the alcohol to pass.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.