A hiker in Oahu smells something "horrific" and finds out a stream is spiked with 1.2% alcohol

Originally published at: A hiker in Oahu smells something "horrific" and finds out a stream is spiked with 1.2% alcohol | Boing Boing

7 Likes

reboing

9 Likes

Almost a co-boing, though.

14 Likes

Soo the fish have been marinated and the alcohol is literally flowing like water. Feast day!

/s

8 Likes

:musical_score:

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks
:musical_note:

31 Likes

@prooftheory beat me to it in the other post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To get that kind of concentration of alcohol in the stream, Paradise Beverages must have had some serious leakage!

Too bad there’s no video of their expressions when told that their warehouse inventory is draining into the stream.

12 Likes

At first it seems a bit of a head scratcher… then you realize that yes, those islands have industries and industries LOVE being next to streams and other flowing waterways. Even in paradise they aren’t free from pollution.

6 Likes

Beer? Meh. I’m going where the water tastes like wine! You can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time.

13 Likes

5 Likes

season 4 episode 13 GIF

9 Likes

Corporations. Have they no shame?

3 Likes

They are.

5 Likes

1.2% alcohol and .04% sugar? Assuming there’s dilution, that’s either a whole lot of beer or wine, or some sort of cordial. Get a court order, pull their “lossage” list, and then fine them accordingly. You know some low-level employee was just told to “throw out” some expired or gone bad product, and just dumped it out the back door. There’s probably a welter of broken glass somewhere, find where that was and you’ve possibly even got fingerprints.

11 Likes

It that near the Big Rock Candy Mountains?

You never change your socks
And the little streams of alcohol
Come trickling down the rocks

The brakemen have to tip their hats
And the railway bulls are blind
There’s a lake of stew
And of whiskey too

You can paddle all around it
In a big canoe

4 Likes

I’m going up the country, babe, don’t you wanna go?
I’m going up the country, babe, don’t you wanna go?
I’m going to some place where I’ve never been before.

I’m going, I’m going where the water tastes like wine.
Well, I’m going where the water tastes like wine.
We can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time.

I’m gonna leave this city, got to get away.
I’m gonna leave this city, got to get away.
All this fussing and fighting, man, you know I sure can’t stay.

Now baby, pack your leaving trunk, you know we’ve got to leave today,
Just exactly where we’re going I cannot say, but
We might even leave the USA,
'Cause there’s a brand new game that I want to play.

No use of you running, or screaming and crying,
'Cause you’ve got a home as long as I’ve got mine.

(Canned Heat - Going up the Country)

10 Likes

You can keep your wine, I’m holding out for when the river is whiskey and I can be a diving duck

4 Likes

Yup, nuthin’ like them cool, clear country waters.

2 Likes

It could be from one of their production facilities. They’ve done a lot of retooling lately, both for beer brewing and for hand sanitizer production (last year they donated huge quantities of sanitizer to some island nations in the South Pacific). They are quite an old company by Hawaii standards, I suspect some of their elderly equipment didn’t survive a retrofit.

Probably this won’t be as bad for the environment as the US Navy fuel pipe/tank leaks that happen every few years, or the giant molasses spill of 2013.

8 Likes

Around there, probably best freshwater shrimp ever!

2 Likes