Hayley Kiyoko defies Tennessee law to include drag performance in her Nashville show

Originally published at: Hayley Kiyoko defies Tennessee law to include drag performance in her Nashville show | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Good for her and the other queens for doing the show anyway. And good for Play for putting this on and not being intimidated.

If you are in Nashville, Play is a great spot! They hosted our friends’ bachelor/bachelor party there and the whole house was rocking.

12 Likes

Hayley Kiyoko has been an inspiration in my life, and continues to be. <3

7 Likes

These laws are nuts. I hope someone challenges and takes it up to the Supreme Court if necessary. They are totally wrong, and completely unconstitutional. How do you even define drag anyway? Wearing the wrong color scarf? Can you get arrested if your jacket has buttons on the wrong side? It’s just insane.

11 Likes

Hopefully with a Supreme Court that isn’t being bought and paid for by billionaires

11 Likes

good.
That law is stupid.

5 Likes

Nashvillian here, and I’m glad your friends’ party was great!

Also this is the sort of thing that gives me some pride in being from Nashville. There’s a lot the Tennessee legislature has done that’s not just embarrassing but harmful–including surprise cuts to HIV prevention programs–but Nashville has a strong and active LGBTQ community, and that community has a lot of allies.

8 Likes

Those are called robes, and what’s wrong with men in dresses anyway?

5 Likes

Nothing, obviously. That’s the point.

4 Likes

We’d been there a few times, and they were regulars, so it was a natural place for it. And Pride, next door, was also a great place to hang out.

1 Like

Yet those men wear robes, and you ain’t helping.

5 Likes

Alright, withdrawn.

2 Likes

You go, girlz!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.